Smelly stool a problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been battling 'IBS' for some time now. 29 yr old male - blood work as recent as end of May came back great. Last year had an upper GI and colonoscopy and everything was normal. Have no reason to believe there's an issue with liver kidneys pancreas etc. 

There are some things I eat and perhaps stress results in a variety of results in the toilet. It doesn't seem to 

Matter if I eat healthy, don't drink, etc. so intermittent which leads to anxiety because I work out religiously and consider myself the picture of health.

It seems like there's always an 'issue' that I deal with the average person doesnt worry about.. that's a whole different issue.

One concern arose this morning - I had a couple of beers on Sunday and had 2 bowel movements Monday which were a little less than desirable. Monday I had some 'bars' with fiber, a 'green cold pressured juice' and a small kale salad. No alcohol.

This morning my stool smelled 'fermented' is the best way I could describe it. Not offensive just an alcohol like quality. 

Anyone else? Anything to be concerned about?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also wonder if my anxiety is just running away with me.

I recently moved onto a new role, moving to a new state. Being on the road I've been snacking less and running more due to inadequate gym equipment. As a result, I've lost some weight, probably 5 pounds or so over a few months. Rationally you would think it's related to what I just mentioned. Irrationally I'm convinced there's an issue due to the weird stools, occasional mucus, smells, etc.

• Posted

Ditto to pippa. Weird size/shape/texture/colour/smelling stools are all part of IBS. Don't worry!

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like normsl IBS symptoms; don't worry.  Have you had a firm diagnosis of IBS? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.