Smelly stool? Onion like smell

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I'm wondering If IBS can cause this onion-ish smell in stool. I just had a quite large BM. It was a bit flat, but the width is normal. The color is light brown/medium. I don't see blood or any odd with it except flat stool but I had that before and apparently it's a sign of IBS. I think I had this oniony smell from my stool. It's not excessively bad, just has more of an onion/smellier smell than usual. My dad gets this a lot, actually. I heard diarrhea can cause the smell but my stool is formed. My anxiety is acting up again because I read someone's comment somewhere about how her mom has colon cancer and had blood in her stool which would smell like onion. I still have not gotten diagnosed with IBS yet and last time I went to the doctor was 2 and a half ish months ago. I had this smell before but I read this one comment somewhere and now I'm scared.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

People describe symptoms in different ways so I would not get scared about the post you read from someone.

If you are concerned then go to GP again.

Hope this turns out to be nothing serious.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I went to my doctor a few months ago for something like a checkup. I came back to him but he said he'all refer me to a therapist because I went for a check up not long ago and he didn't see anything alarming. He said it might just be my anxiety (which I said extremely severe), if not, it very very likely it's IBS..so I guess it kinda calms me down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.