Smoking?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with DVT he has been prescribed blood thinners.  He is a light smoker.  Considering the side effects of stopping smoking ie increased blood pressure should he stop or just keep it to a minimum.  He also has a very physical job should he farm some of his jobs out.  DVT is something neither of us have any knowledge of so any advise would be great fully received. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

He should stop smoking, nicotine causes the blood cells to get sticky and helps form a clot.  You dont say how bad his clot is, I was not able to do anything other than bed rest for some time after mine but I exercised as soon as I could. i was told never to stand, walking was ok, laying was ok, sitting should be with the leg raised and never down.  His GP should give him advice on what to do or not to do with consideration to his condition.  Definately stop the smoking though.  
  • Posted

Stopping smoking if you have DVT is a no-brainier. Take exercise and control BP if necessary. Viv3 is absolutely right. Well said about everything including sitting. 

Have you been prescribed pressure hose/stockings? You’ll prob need to wear them during the day to enhance blood flow back up the leg. 

All these inconveniences are a lot better than getting a PE or death. 

Cheers

Big D 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.