Smoking

Posted , 13 users are following.

I foolishly went back to smoking a while back because I feel BETTER when I smoke. I stopped, but get tempted because my breathing is much better when I do! I know it is insane, but has anyone experienced this? When I quit My breathing was much worse. I think it has to do with waking up your lungs, clearing them out, so you become sob. But I swear when I did smoke, I felt fine! So crazy.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I was diagnosed with COPD and my first lung functionality test showed FEV1 of 31%. It took a while for me to realise that I had destroyed my lungs through smoking. It was my wife that booked the appointment as I was having some SOB - I surely didn't think much of it.

After realising what all this meant I stopped smoking cold turkey. The first week being the worst. After 2 months my chest cleared up and I could breathe better. I am going back for another test on the 26th May - We will see if there is any improvement.

I beg you to find the strength to quit smoking immediately. It is the greatest gift you can give your loved ones.

• Posted

People move start smoking to feel that special or to not lag behind everyone who does. Anyway smoking is ahell bad habit nad need to be overcome at any cost. Breathing becomes notoriously abnormal and a chain smoker cannot even run 100 meters properly if asked to do so. Lungs are badly affaected during smoking & the immune system suffers alot. Congratulations to you as you left the habit behind. 
  • Posted

It has to do with chemicals in the fags that keep your airways open and desensitise receptors in the lung. If you feel sob when you need a pulmonary function test, fast.

Give up smoking, it's not worth a life of bad breathing that destroys your vitality.

• Posted

Just stop i know it's hard but you got to stick with it i smoked for 40 years & yes copd was the outcome never thought i could kick the habbit but i found that champix made it so easy to give it up good luck
  • Posted

I have DNA aquired asthma... When I exersice I have reached peak performance while smoking... I have now stopped my exersice (apart from xxercise...) Lol...

I have noticed that asthma is a mind over matter thing... If you've got Ventolin then you're all good...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.