Smoking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had Crohn’s for years without any issues. I quit smoking this year and now after a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with UC. Can there be a connection between the smoking and UC? Thanks Andrew 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI... I've read somewhere... that they believe there is a connection when people quit and UC and whether you're more prone to it.  Albeit, I quit nearly 10 years before UC.. it was food poisoning that started the whole UC roller coaster but it's interesting that they believe a connection exists.  There has also been studies on nicotine and UC symptoms too and that its supposed to make it 'hurt' less.  I've found a low dose patch helps me when I'm in agony but thankfully I haven't had to use it as of late... does that make sense?

• Posted

I think it makes sense. I changed my diet about a year ago. Eating healthy, no smoking. And this happens. Strange how the healthy things can be a real pain
  • Posted

I always thought the same thing...I smoked for 7 years...I quit an two years later I ended up with UC at the age of 38....I wonder if I would've continued smoking would I now have UC.... it was very odd to me

• Posted

I feel the same way. I couldn't imagine a doctor saying " you need asacol, lots of rest and a carton of camel lights"

• Posted

There is a definite link with people who smoke and not having UC. The fact you got UC two years later could just be a coincidence but I suppose you’ll never know...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.