smoking again

Posted , 1 user is following.

My mother is 79 years old and in the early stages of dementia. Having stopped smoking 14 years ago she has suddenly started again - despite having had a collapsed lung and a cancerous tumour removed from her lung earlier this year. We are very concerned for her health and don't know what to do - has anyone else faced this particular problem?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes. My nan was 84, had stopped smoking for a long time, went into hospital with renal failure and then started again. Despite all the doctors' advice, she continued to smoke and we did nothing to stop her because she enjoyed it and it gave her pleasure when otherwise her life was miserable.

Did we ever condemn it? No, she was 84. She could do what she wanted. She lived long enough to deserve that small privilege of freedom.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply - I agree with everything you say - however we're probably as concerned about the safety aspect - if she leaves a lit cigarette somewhere & forgets about it for example. It's just one more thing to worry about I suppose.
    • Posted

Indeed, and I did consider that, but I think if you keep an eye on her movements then you should be OK. Those unfortunate enough to have dementia need patient people to keep them company anyway so use it as an opportunity to keep an eye on her at the same time as being there to care.
    • Posted

You're welcome. I wish you, you family and your mum the best smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.