smoking and copd

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with stage 2 copd (emphysema). I have smoked for 48 years. I am 65 and told I have lungs of a 95 year old. I am struggling to stop smoking. If I cannot how fast will my progression be.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for all your help. I know I have to stop and with some help from the clinic hope to succeed. Hopefully this will halt the progression of the disease.
  • Posted

Hi panda22 i to smoked from age 15 gave up about 4/5yrs ago as soon as I was diagnosed with COPD i thought oh sh*t and was adamant to give it up it was very hard after my last fag i thought that's it first day was the hardest but I stuck to my guns it did get easier but even today i could murder one but no way would i light one good luck love xxxxxx
  • Posted

when i read the ct scan that said i have advanced emphysema and described my lungs I quit that day ... I loved smoking , simply loved to smoke ......BUT my mind read that as smoke OR  kids and grandkids .... there was no comparison I loved them more......wasn't easy at all but life was my choice ...... Good LUCK  YOU CAN DO IT >>>.....
    • Posted

Grandchildren are a wonderful antidote to smoking ,,,,,my 12 year old grandaughter has made me a promise ,,,,that she will NEVER SMOKE OR DO DRUGS ,,,,,,

i stopped after being blue lighted to intensive care ,,,,that was November 1992,

• Posted

I have also been diagnosed with moderate/ stage 2 COPD. My lungs currently  at 56% so nearer stage 3 I fear! Stopping smoking was hard and the cravings do go on some time. Even peeps that have stopped ages often say they still have occasional cravings. From what i have read/ been advised proggression would definately be a lot faster if you continue to smoke. However if you really start looking after yourself as suggested by others below esp stopping smoking some people with COPD live to a good old age. Up to us now! I found nicotine patches and gum helpfull, didnt want drugs and the vape things made me cough. Also a big incentive was putting the money I normally spent on Cigs in a jar each day it soon accumilated. (When I got £300 in there my husband said "bring it here and burn it" I said "get st-----d" he said "well thats what you have been doing!" 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.