Smoking Ciggarettes and Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I just want to start a discussion on this due to the lack of information online. I know smoking cigarettes is one of many triggers of anxiety, but I cant quit as of yet due to the idea of having nicotine withdrawals and having to deal with the current anxiety symptoms that I have. By chance for the people that smoke cigarettes and dealing with anxiety symptoms, are you facing other weird symptoms on top of the normal anxiety symptoms?

For example after I finish a cigarette I get a lot more tightness in the chest sometimes shortness of breathe. I also face tingling in my chest and hot and cold flashes in the same area.

Please let me know if this does happen or is it normal.

Thank you,

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From the things I have read it is only suggested and possible that smoking can cause anxiety. They did one study but it was on teens I believe. I smoke on and off. But it does not contribute to my anxiety. Maybe it's just some people it gives anxiety to and that's why it is possible. It soothes me when anxiety takes over.

• Posted

Hey, i dont know necessarily a direct correlation for me between smoking and anxiety, but i definitely get some tightness in my chest or heart palpatations but i just thought of that as my normal anxiety. ive become quite a chain smoker when im feeling stressed and anxious which is pretty much all the time lol

• Posted

Hi Jbarzo, I'm a chain smoker and always looking for a group like this, I can wake up anytime and light a ciggie for my anxiety. Through my time (3) years, I've had heart palpitation , tight chest , shortness of breath , left arm pain and always the thought of dying. I cannot seem to stop smoking. Went for hipnosis and it did not work. Bear in mind that I only went once and 1 hour after this I did light up again. Its a vicious cycle and just trying to make it through the days, its a struggle, we make do with what and how we can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.