smoking & uc

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi stopped smoking last march when feeling good was ok using a vapour until november starting to flare december and first 2 weeks of jan i was ill so i started up again eveytime i quit flares are much worse, keep reading posts about how nicotine helps its the carbon ect, but im thinking no its not.

if uc is caused by the immune system attacking the colon smoking causes a weaker supressed immune system this giving relief from uc symptoms not advising anyone just to start smoking but it was my quick fix to relive symptoms i take mezaline but see this as just putting a coating  over it

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe

Smoking never helped anyone but a few people have actually said it helps them is it worth getting some advice or doing some research on this to get some proper facts that might help us

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

yes im not saying that im saying why i think its got me out of flare read back a few posts a newbie wants to start e cigs thinks its te nicotine i ont think it is check out uc on fb ex smokers are saying the same when they quit flares re worse
    • Posted

Hi Joe

Yes I know what your saying it can work for some and not others there must be some sort of remedy to it though

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

yeah thats what i think the smoking remedy is not the nicotine it is the fact it lowers my immune system
    • Posted

Hi Joe

Nicotine will lower an immune system which has probably helped you as long as you get some comfort out of it all the best of luck to you 

Please keep in touch

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

yeah i used patches and high strength vapour but couldnt get out of the flare till i give in and smoked i would perfer not to smoke and going to drop them to a few aday now im out of the flare
  • Posted

in the last few weeks while smoking iv gone from 12 / 15 toilet trips with blood feeling sick ect to one to 4 aday no blood sickness gone but i still avoid alcohol dairy sugar cafffine and wheat  however last few days a mouth ulcer returned this giving me thought for low immune system
  • Posted

I read nicotine is good for Ulcerative Colitis. I unfortunately hate smoking so that's a dam shame. Hopefully a bit might help. I'm now on 4.8g of mezavant a day. Only just started this dose. Had UC for over six years now. Not nice, I know. Feel better!
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

I would like to know where you read this I would like to know alot more about it Ive heard alot of comments on this and most of them are good smoking might not be that bad after all thank you

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

i m 9 years uc dammed i stopped  smoking for two years was hospitalized twice my finding are as a smoker my uc is mild to none 4 weeks ago i wouldnt leave the house since i went back on them im fine been out all weeked
    • Posted

Hi Joe

Good luck to you mate

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

thx jon i know the risks but at the mo its better then sitting on the toilet read a post about ppl taking some kind of worms so the immune system fights them instead so for uc sufferers either lowing immune system or turning its attention towards something eles instead of the colon could be the way forwards
    • Posted

Hi Joe

Quite correct I couldnt agree more am signing out for the night speak to you tommorrow thanks for your help

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

Hi Joe,

There's been research into it and it does seem to have some benefits for Colitis, a lot of people seem to get Colitis after quitting smoking. No one really knows why yet but it's thought smoking can cause a change in the bowel lining so when you stop you get problems. Again no definate answers yet but there does seem to be a link and research is going on.

I quit 13 years ago now but when I was hospitalised two years ago I was so bad I was willing to give anything a try and started having one cigarrette a day my symptoms disappeared incredibly fast. The smoking made me feel like crap though so as soon as I was healthy I stopped and concentrated on a strict diet(Paleo) which helps but if I ever get really bad again I will try smoking once a day again.

I feel it depends on how bad you are as much as I hate smoking I'd rather live to 60 with a full life than 80 in constant pain and sickness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.