Smooth muscle antibodies.

Posted , 2 users are following.

One of my GP's requested a test for pernicious anemia which came back negative but it has thrown up the fact I have tested positive for smooth muscle antibodies at a titre of 1:160. Three separate blood tests have confirmed this. My liver function tests are normal with just serum albumin coming in slightly below range at 32g/l which was considered satisfactory. Nothing significant has been seen in blood results either. I feel well in myself. The doctor doesn't feel like this is anything to worry about but had requested a liver ultrasound test. I am going out of my mind as to why these antibodies are present. From autoimmune hepatitis to malignancies. The doctor says she doesn't suspect either due to my bloods looking ok and not to worry, it could be due to me having two pregnancies with pre-eclampsia or possible fatty liver, but if a positive asma test is picking up antibodies then surely there's something wrong. I am so so worried it's causing me lack of sleep and constant need to find reassurance. Has anyone else had these antibodies present yet not presented with any symptoms. Can they exist in a healthy person? Non of my other autoimmune profile was positive. Just the asma Thankyou for reading.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kylie,

Sorry you are so worried, but your biggest concern at this time is your worrying .Sometimes those antibodies can be present, but it's nothing to worry about. Listen to your doctor and stop worrying. Good luck to you Kylie!

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply. I am waiting for cbt therapy for health anxiety but the waiting list is long and I think I've about out done Google looking for information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.