Smudges even after laser surgery for retinal tear. Will I ever get a clear vision back?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I just found out about this forum. I had been seeing smudges in my left eye for quite some time and when I visited the doctor he told me I need a laser surgery to fix a big retinal tear.

I got the laser done 3 weeks back but I still see smudges and it seems that I have a thin film over the eye. I just want to know if anyone experienced these same symptoms even after the surgery and how long will it take to go back to a clear vision.

These smudges seem to increase when I am concentrating on doing something.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I have lots if floaters and if i move mu eyes side to side from a light surface to dark i always have smudges. I have been checked by the doctors and luckily didn't develop any tears but i am at high risk because of my myopia. What symptoms did you have and after the symptoms when did the doctor checked you for tear? How long did it take from the symptoms till the actual tear?

Thanks

• Posted

Actually I have been seeing shadows for many months now...since March 2019. I visited the doctor then and he said I have PVD for which nothing can be done, we will just have to wait and see. My symptoms got worse during Dec 2019 and I visited the doctor again in jan 2020 when he announced I now have a retinal tear. I had the laser surgery 3 weeks back but my smudges have not improved much. I had a checkup after 7 days of the surgery and he said everything is fine and the floaters or whatever will disappear after 3 months!!!! I have another checkup next week. I am just worried that it will never improve.

My right eye retina is also showing degeneration but nothing needs to be done at the moment.I am myopic about minus 5.25...is that high myopic? I am not sure.

• Posted

please be aware of the retinal laser risks. i did a you tube video on "retinal laser complications", and there is a forum on here about "white flickering lights after retinal tear laser procedure". i developed that because i believe the dr lasered in my peripheral vision - the only word i have for this condition is "nightmare"

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. You are not so high myopic. I am -9 on left eye with -3 astigmatism and -6 in right eye with -1 astigmatism, so severe myopia. I developed floaters, arc like flashes in one eye in May 2019, rushed to the opticians and they checked my retina and it was all good, then went to an eye clinic in the same month and the doctor confirmed what the optician said...then in october 2019 I went again as the symptoms got worse I suppose, still have the squiggly lines, dots, shapes all kind and they are there non stop... the optician did the dilatation of the pupils once again and nothing is wrong, then again I checked in december 2019 and she looked again and nothing is wrong then again in january the 25th 2020 and again nothing changed. I think she just got annoyed with me and said "you know what just go to moorfields emergency services if you have concerns and i can write you a letter too" .... but now my symptoms are much better. I still have flashes but not so often and the floaters are still there but only when it's supee bright outside... I suppose if something really bad happens like i can't see then I will go straight to the hospital.

Thank you

• Posted

Get a second opinion. My personal opinion is the laser can do more harm than good. If you have a big retinal tear tell the dr to take a retinal pic and show it to you. wait if you can before you do more laser work.

as far as your other symptoms im not sure, but bluriness is caused by corneal damage done by the retinal laser. they say it doesn't cause retinal damage but it does. in most cases the corneal damage will repair, and i assume thats whats causing your smudge

• Posted

I am going to another doctor next week, let's see what he says.

Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

see my note on retinal laser risks or watch my youtube video "retinal laser complications"

• Edited

I had this problem and had laser treatment done It only took about 20 seconds there was no pain only blurry for a while 5 weeks later and my vision is so clear I can read without glasses I'am 76 John

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. It has been 3 weeks for me post surgery hopefully after 5 weeks it will clear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.