Snapped Achilles tendon

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ,I did a complete rupture on 13th Sept, had cast for 2 weeks non weight bearing until scan, then air cast until open to repair on 5th Oct. Physio said I'd be non weight bearing for another 6 weeks with cast but woke in recovery with boot still on and post open instructions to weight bear with crutches! went back 2 weeks post op to have staples removed and got royally told off for moving around at home for prior few days without the crutches. Haven't got any pain ,had been taking off the boot and doing some ankle rotations and just gently moving foot up and down. Been told to stop doing any of that. Have to remove a wedge every 2 weeks and not back to see consultant until 7 Dec and won't start physio till after then. Wondered if this is the advice most have been given? How soon after 7 th Dec appointment should I expect to be off crutches? I'm on my last bit of nursing degree and just have to finish final 3 month placement so am keen to get on with it! Thank you muchly x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ok not the same situation but I had Achilles decompression with tendon transfer of fhl tendon (big toe tendon). 4th surgery on same achilles. Was casted for 2 weeks non weight bearing then into aircast with 4 wedges. Was allowed to partial weight bear until 6 week stage then allowed to fully weight bear. So i’d think you’ll be allowed to fully weight bear from the appointment. 

The consultant never actually told me to take any of the wedges out as appt to remove cast was only with the nurse at clinic. She asked him but said to just keep them in until I saw him at week 9-10. At this appt he told me to come out of the boot and into trainers (ankle was still so swollen I couldn’t get any on though). So had the boot on for another week or so while I took high strength ibuprofen for the swelling. My calf muscle was really weak when I first came out of the boot too.  

Only started to get Physio 3.5 - 4 months after the surgery because he didn’t send the referral until I’d seen him in clinic at the checkup 🙄. 

I should have been starting to phase back to work around 4 months post-op but because of another surgery I only went back this week (7 months post-op). 

I’m also a nurse but phasing back over about 5-6 weeks. So started on 6 hour shifts (should be 4 but because of the distance to work it’s pointless driving for that short a shift). We do 12.5 hour shifts. 

It really depends what kind of placement you’re going to be on? Although I’m on my feet a lot, my patients are the smallest you can get 👶🏻👶🏻. You don’t want to risk rupturing it again by going back sooner than you should. Think a rough estimate on going back for you would be 4 - 4.5 months. Is that the kind of timescale you’ve been given? 

My first achilles surgery was whilst I was a student too. I had placement 8 weeks after the surgery and was still in a lot of pain (as the surgery hadn’t worked). I ended up wearing the aircast boot part of some shifts. 

Good luck for the last placement!! xx

• Posted

Thank you, I'm not allowed back with crutches but I think if I was still in air boot but weight bearing I'd be allowed back. Its the conflicting advice that difficult to fathom . It looks like I will be off my feet until at least middle of December which will be 12 weeks after injury. I'm not actually in pain but am trying to stick to using the crutches but lordy is it hard! The consultant has done the referral for physio already so at least will start that straight away , am also going to have some private physio to speed things up. I am allowed to go back for 5 short shifts rather than long days, the ward I am doing my final placement on is an acute and busy setting but hopefully will manage it ok. Yes rerupture is a worry but am going to do strengthen exercises as soon as I can and keep them up!

?Thanks for the advice

• Posted

This achilles stuff has me stumped on what's good & bad.  I had major surgeries (50+) to repair shattered bones and joints over the years due to a motorcycle accident.  Two hips and a knee replaced.  However, I had a bone spur removed early August 2017 from my heel and I was out to lunch on what was good and bad.  The doctor said no weight first two weeks - no weight at all.  Ok so I balanced myself in the soft cast the first two weeks.  Not a ton of weight bearing but some weight applied.  Then I was in a hard cast for 4 weeks I still was supposed to use the crutches and only soft weight to balance was allowed.  Again, I walked a bit in the cast for short distances in the house.  So the last 4 weeks I have been in the boot and the doctor said I could apply FULL weight in the boot but when I take the boot off for showers and bed I must use the crutches.  Again, I have walked around the house without the boot 50% and used the crutches 50%.  In a week and a half I have my final appointment and I am supposed to loose the boot and full weight.  I feel great.  Never really any pain involved.  My heel feels fine.  I walk miles some days in the boot and never feel any pain, soreness and have near zero swelling.  I'm not sure- was the hype built up or am I going to regret my actions-?  Who knows-?  I suggest do what you feel is right.  When you feel soreness or pain you are over doing it.  Things should be fine in the end I believe.  The first 3-4 weeks things seem like they are doomed but one morning you wake up and you feel like what the heck am I doing?  I feel great and this boot and crutches are cramping my life.  From my personal experience and research online it appears that everyone basically does 4-6 weeks in a cast and then 4-6 weeks in a boot.  Basically you'll be set back for 8-12 weeks.  After that it's all about how you feel.  If you feel pain then cool off and do less.  Seem like the basics.  Good luck and hope things go well.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.