Snapping in sternum, chest tightness (no pain) + "lump" in throat?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone!

My symptoms started over a month ago. I woke up in the morning, and out of the blue, I felt like I couldn't breathe normally. The thing is, it's a feeling in the chest like somebody would tighten it with a belt, but with NO pain whatsoever. The feeling of tightness sometimes is present in the upper chest, and sometimes on "the sides" (both, like on the ribs or something), or both sides and upper.

Also, when I try to stretch, something in my sternum "snaps" (a sound like you would snap with your fingers), but again, it's just the sound, no pain.

Apart from that, I have a feeling of a "lump" in my throat around the area of lymph nodes. I don't have any problems with swallowing whatsoever, it's just the annoying feeling.

All these symptoms showed up at once, this is the first time I'm experiencing something like that.

I've already been to 3 public healthcare doctors (I'm from Europe), and the only diagnostics they made was resting ECG, which showed nothing out of the ordinary. They examined me with a stethoscope, again with nothing suspicious based on this examination. Blood pressure also normal.

Some helpful data:

• I don't exercise in the gym
  • Rather slim body type, 182cm height, 75kg weight
  • Mostly sitting desk job in front of PC
  • I smoke, moderate quantities (some slim cigarettes + e-cig with very low nicotine intake, 2mg/ml)
  • I don't take any medication, no severe diseases diagnosed so far
  • 30yo, male
  • Symptoms seem to intensify after masturbation... but not always. Sometimes the symptoms almost go away for 2-3 hours, just to come back in full intensity.

So... what should I do? Again, I'm not in pain, but these symptoms are so annoying I can't focus on work. Also, I have troubles falling asleep sometimes because of the tightness.

Any input appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi i had a lump on my sternum and i got diagnosed with costo and tietze syndrome but i have no pain either my chest is very tight and i cannot breathe it feels like there is no air to breathe my doctor gave me a inhaler to help me breathe so i would ring your GP and see if they can help ? it is a annoying feeling i hope it goes away for you very soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.