Sneezing/coughing after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Really silly question. When I sneeze or cough I get a horrible pain by my incisions. Is there anything I can do to help with this pain? I'm scared to sneeze or cough too much cause I don't want to mess my incisions up. No stitches. Just skin glue.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes! Just keep a small pillow on your lap so when you sneeze, cough, laugh, or even move you can press it against your stomach. It will help hold the pressure. I just lay with mine on my stomach all day.
  • Posted

How long ago was your surgery? I had mine out about 7 weeks ago and just got my first cold since surgery. I keep getting intermittent sharp pains on my right side that come and go, but I just keep wondering if it is a result of the strain on the scar tissue from surgery from coughing and sneezing...
  • Posted

I can relate smile Do keep a small pillow up against your tummy surgery area and push on it a bit when you need to cough or sneeze. This helps take pressure off the tummy. Also great to use when changing positions, getting up, etc. Hope this helps !

• Posted

Thank you that helped very much just had mine removed yesterday
  • Posted

Use your pillow for when you sneeze or cough it helps a lot. It's going to be your best friend good luck with recovery you'll do great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.