snow and cold

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I need to discuss with you some issues:. 

I am Israeli, live in Tel Aviv. My mother died from COPD and her sister as well

Despite the fact that i am a biker that crossed Austria several times. 2 years ado I felt that I can not climb stairs I went to a FEV1 test and got - 52.

lately - 44

I do not use or need oxygen 

I need to fly to NY in Jan the 16th  - is there any dangerous in flying 12 hours (air pressure etc)? of course sick people in the jet is dangerous.

Then I am going to Utah -c20 2, 130 M above see level

is it dangerous?

My Dr encourage me

do you have any experience with my questions?

Tnx Nili

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There aren't any problems, but I did feel as though the air was different on the plane with flying for so many hours when we went in July last year.

• Posted

Dear Nili....

I am AMAZED when people say "I do not use or need oxygen" or "I dread the day I have to use oxygen".....My GP and Pulmonary doctors put me on oxygen as soon as I was diagnosed.  I ONLY use it at night while I'm sleeping. I am on Spiriva and Symbicort but I feel SO great that I have to have my meds visible where I "put my face on" in the morning....otherwise I might forget my meds.  I was diagnosed 4 years ago, after a CT scan,  and when I went for my ANNUAL pulmonary checkup in December my doctor said my tests looked better than they did last year.  I also have a rescue inhaler but have never had to use it.  I live in Colorado so the altitude is 5,280 feet here. I have read that the use of oxygen with COPD lenghthens your life span.  Check with your doctors about this AND about flying.  More than one opinion is important.

• Posted

TNX Sandy

I do not know why i am so affraid of oxygen.

Sunday (working day in Israel) I am going to get a third opinion with a  Pulmonary docto.

My GP said - do not fly

First  Pulmonary doctor said - fly

then I will get the 3rd opinion

Nili

• Posted

Yes, Nili.  I am glad you are getting another opinion.  I have heard of many people with COPD that DO fly.  Think of all of the travelers that you see with little portable oxygen tanks.  confused  I DO wish you the best....I know....COPD is confusing and frightening at first; however, when you learn how to deal with it and care for yourself, you do fall in to an acceptance of it.  Keep in touch!

• Posted

I was prescribed fostair as soon as I found out I had copd 2 for first thing in morning and last thing at night and salbutamol for during the day. 
  • Posted

Just gasping for breath a little, but seem to on any flights now. The way I saw it was it's worth it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.