So confused!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an endo appointment who said I had hashimotos and im sure he told me I have an underactive thyroid plus I have symptoms of it. However i received a letter today which was a copy of what the endo sent to the doctor saying I have sub clinical hyperthyroidism and no mention of hashimotos. I don't have any of the symptoms of overactive but my tsh is above 10 and my antibodies are involved.

I have a deep pain in my left leg and have weird left arm symptoms such as weakness, achy and a numb feeling but it's not actually numb. I take levothyroxine. I suffer from health anxiety so im so worried about Cancer or something which is going to kill me

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily 

try not to worry, if the endocrinologist had thought you had cancer I am sure he would have sent you for a scan, I assume he did bloods and felt your neck for any lumps and bumps.

i go on a fantastic web site called thyroid advocacy UK, if you join put your results on and the ranges, and you will get lots of advice from some really great people.

you will be ok.

• Posted

Im comfused about the fact that he wrote down for me to google hypothyroidism and I also asked my bf to check and he said yes it does say that. But the letter to the gp States different. So which is it, subclinical hyper or hypo? Im thinking of making a doctors appointment to discuss with the gp
  • Posted

Dear Emily,       Double check with the endo secretary what you're supposed to be taking right now.  An article I just read said that the thyroid test is not a 'one size fits all' test and what's normal for some people wont be normal for others. 

I would recommend you get a mineral and vitamin supplement and take extra magnesium on top of that as well, as lack of magnesium leads to muscle weakness, and anxiety is another symptom of deficiency of it.   Search 'magnesium deficiency symptoms'.    I would eat as healthily as possible, dont wait until you're very hungry before you eat,  Avoid artificial sweetners,  get out in nature as much as you can - go for walks,  as this will help any vitamin D deficiency and help with improving your general worried state,  dont put any other hormones in your body  for your system to deal with,  and get plenty of sleep, as sleep is the best time for healing ourselves. 

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply. I think it could be a typo since if it was hyperthyroidism I would have low tsh. Whereas the letter says its high and on the notes he wrote me personally to take home he wrote hypothyroidism. So maybe it was just a typo. I asked the endo about the pill (contraception) and he said it was fine. But yes I will get vitamin supplements and start to eat healthier as I know it is a big factor on helping to control thyroid issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.