so confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I'm so lost and you all sound very smart so maybe you can help me. This kind of a long story. 21/2 months ago I switched doctors because mine was kinda mean. Btw im hypothyroid or atleast i was. So when I switched doctors I had them test my thyroid levels since it was almost 3 months since last blood work. Anyway i was on 125 levo at that point. When they got my blood work back she said my tsh was 22 which was high so upped my levo to 137. A couple weeks after starting that 137 i woke in full blown anxiety attack went to er because i thougt i was having a heart attack. So followed up with a different foctor at the office and she took had more blood work to check levels again. 3 days later called me and said that my tsh was 0.38 which she said was low. So she said to take the 137mg on M-W-F and the other 4 days take the 125mg. At that point was fed up with the anxiety, and feeling like crap. I switched back to the mean but thurough doctor and she was not happy about how they handle my thyroid issue. She sent me for ultrasound on thyroid and it was normal she also pulled me off all thyroid meds for the past 2 weeks to level out. So she got blood work back yesterday and my tsh is 1.1 but she said my t4 was still high. So tomorrow i start 100mg of levo. I'm confused and don't know if i am hypo or hyper. Could any of you help me on this? Thank you in advance.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So it happens your doctor is still looking for the right meds dose for you.  When I was first diagnosed I was so hyper then I took methimazole and it made me so hypo.  I was going hyper and hypo and vice versa.. It took a while and to get to this 5mg everyother day for 6months now.  Dont take the dr emotions seriously, some doesn't know bedside manner to patients or how to deal with patients... No emotion whatsover.  SO my main focus is just cure me or at least make stable.  I was litterally at the bloodtest station every 2 weeks because I could feel symptoms of hypo then hyper then hypo... You know yourself than your doctor and they only go by your blood test.  If you feel differently or odd go get your blood work done.  Yes it was kind of expensive.  
    • Posted

No, hyperthyroidism and graves disease... it's just that my body really sensitive to methimazole... I turned hypo right away when my body senses over medicated of methimazole... endo said I'm the only one she knows really sensitive to methimazole.. she was about to put me on Rai but I asked to lower the dose down.. I only turn hypo and hyper with methimazole but without methimazole I'm hyper
    • Posted

Some people have both Graves and Hashimoto's.  The only people I see who have a reaction like that to Methimazole are people who either have Hashimoto's alone or Hashimoto's and Graves together, which is possible.  Those people do better on a Natural protocol like Bugleweed, Melissa and Motherwort and/or Regular L-Carnitine rather than Methimazole.   Regular physicians don't know anything about this, only a Naturopath or a Functional Medicine doctor would have this knowledge.   If it were me, I would ask the doc to rule out Hashimoto's by testing TGAb antibodies and anti-TPO.  If you have Graves and have a hypo reaction due to a too high dose of Methimazole, you would be stable when you lowered the dose but that is not the pattern with you. 
    • Posted

I'm seeing a new endo (as I wanted a second opinion) .  I'll certainly mention the possibility of having Hashi's as well.  I've actually gone from reacting quickly to the meds (last summer) to getting worse now so I'm still very confused about what's going on and am looking for an end to it.  I don't care whether I keep my thyroid or not as it's causing nothing but trouble. 
    • Posted

Now that im on 5mg every other day.  I've been stable for 6months now.  But now with these new supplements that I started taking, my equilibrium has been unbalance but i'll give it 2 more weeks to give my body time to take in all this changes... It just another x on an equation and bunch of if statements.  I might need to lower the dose again.  Yes I did thought about Hashimoto and most dr don't know how to treat em.  So that there is opening a can of worms.  It's a YO yo back and forth.  When I wasfirst diagnosed I was hyper and grave's so Dr told me to take selenium.  My husband bought 200mcg and I took it everyday.  Some how it's giving false reading on my bloodtest.  I feel hypo but it's showing I was hyper on the test. So I stopped taking it and my hyper started getting stable until to 5mg every other day.  So then I just took 1 or 2 brazil nuts for my eyes and it's been stable ever since...  then these new supplements came in I'll find out where Im at after bloodtest at the end of the month...
    • Posted

You have to be careful with Selenium and keep it within range.  To do this, you would need a blood test.  And always get and keep a copy of the thyroid tests your doctor does.  Which supplements did you order? 
  • Posted

Due to seeing so many different doctors it's been impossible to stabilise my graves following a serious illness in March 2013. My current bloods are T3 25.9, T4 10.1 and TSH 0.02. I have palpitations, swollen calves and nausea. I've just been put on PTU as it was possible the carbimazole was causing the nausea. I'm due to have an endoscopy. I'm feeling so awful that I'm considering surgery. I can't see any point in continuing like this for the rest of my life. I'm fully awAre being hypo and taking thyroxine can have its own problems but most people do well on it. I've done everything I can to help myself and it's not working.
  • Posted

Hi,  the anxiety you have is a symptom of magnesium deficiency, and having stress and with all the meds you've been on, your magnesium levels will very likely be low.  Please look up magnesium deficiency symptoms and see if you match any others !   Many people take this in supplement form on this site, as there isn't much of it available in our diets, and it is a vital mineral (and much overlooked by Dr's) we all need it for many processes in the body. Magnesium is very calming.

(It's also not possible to overdose on it as anything our body doesn't need gets sent to the bladder) 

L- Carnetine as Linda said in her post is also important and is something the body uses naturally too.

Hope you feel better soon. :-)

• Posted

I will deffentily look that up right now. Thank you so much. It's crazy how you get more answers on this site than at the doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.