So depressed

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi my name is Jessie I’m 29 years old and I broke my ankle roller skating on June 23rd 2018 and this is a first break for me it was completely dislocated and it was my fibula that was broken and because of how bad the swelling was they had to do The external hardware because it popped out and they didn’t want to risk me getting an infection and then a week later they did the screws and plates and it hasn’t been easy I joined this site to get some kinda of advice... as of right now I’m still non weight bearing and my next apt is on August 15 to see how the bone is healing and to get X-rays I guess... all the stitches are out now and I’m still experiencing pain idk if it’s because of how the boot rubs where the sutures were or what so I’m just trying to get some helpful useful information that might make feel a little bit better about the situation I’m in because right now all I want to do is cry!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess

I would see your doctor about how you are feeling - as it’s likely to be situational depression so a course of antidepressants might help you through this period. I’m 9 weeks post op, and it’s been a difficult 9 weeks ups and downs . I’m still in some pain and now at the physio stage. I’ve tried to keep my mood up by sitting in the sunshine, listen to music , reading and doing some studying in between that I have visitors and now the cast is off I’m able to drive the automatic- been food shopping at Asda used their scooter to get about (was very liberating just to shop at my pace on my own). Been camping too ! As arranged to take the grandkids away and didn’t want to disappoint, hard work however I managed to get in the pool and walked yes walked several lengths. Just keep going you are young and hopefully your healing will be quicker . Keep talking x

• Posted

Hi Jessie, so sorry to hear all that you’re going through.  I can’t imagine what the pain is like for you. I had tendon, ligament repair, & bone shaved down & debridment of my ankle joint bc of scar tissue. I’m almost 5 weeks post surgery & thought I was in pain. Mostly burning, & nerves reconnecting, & my foot being tender. I’m also very depressed. Why are you wearing a boot if you’re NWB? That would irritate the heck out of my ankle. I wore just an ace bandage after my initial splint & bandages were removed. 

• Posted

I’m in a boot because my doctor said a lot of times they don’t like giving people casts I was in a splint for awhile after my surgery but when they removed all the stitches they put me in the boot saying it would protect me more and keep my foot the way it needed to be and I can take this off and shower he says but it does drive me crazy but I’m allowed to take it off to air it out and do a very little movement when I’m sitting down they said but they don’t want me trying to walk on it or anything yet!
  • Posted

Hi Jessie , I understand how you feel . I had my ankle broken in 3 places and dislocated 1 yr age . I can tell you that it’s not easy but going to get better. Prayer 🙏🏿 is the key with physical therapy and patience. Your ankle problem is not as bad as mind so you will be wb sooner than I was , which it took me 9 weeks to partial wb 40-60lbs, 11 weeks to full wb . Today I’m running at least 3 miles 4 times a week without any ankle problems at all . BE PATIENT AND STAY PRAYED Up 

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

I am also 29 years old and I broke my leg (Tibia & Fibula) on June 24. I have 3 young children that I am completely unable to care for. I haven't even been able to care for myself and have felt so hopeless. Yesterday was the first day I woke up without being in pain, although the pain did come back throughout the day. I know that this time is from the Lord. I have been meditating on Romans 5:3 - We may rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us His Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love. I pray that God gives you comfort and rest but more importantly that you understand His love for you. I hope this day is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better still. Also, at least you were doing something sporty and cool when you broke your ankle. I was walking on a flat surface, with nothing to trip over but my own feet. I also severely sprained my other ankle so I'm in a wheel chair because I can't support my weight on that leg yet.

• Posted

I completely empathize with your feelings! The feet are tricky and we don’t realize how much we depend on them! Rest assured your body will heal and things will get better. I am recovering from tendon surgery and a fracture,  and if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s to try and have patience. Try to get some fresh air and sit outside when you can and do things to keep your mind distracted. Stay in front of your pain!! You will most likely feel aches and pains while your body is adjusting. It’s normal, just not comfortable. If you get worried reach out to your surgeon for reassurancesmile. Good luck!!
  • Posted

Jessie,

Finally I meet someone else who also had the external fixator for a few days before they did the screws and plates inside! We seem to be a very small club (thankfully) because I would not wish this on anyone.

I am 48, and broke every bone in my ankle and dislocated it and tore all kinds of nerves and tendons. Just the most miserable thing ever. Before, when people spoke of broken ankles, I admit to not being sympathetic enough because no one could understand until they have been there.

Well, I'm here to give you hope! Of course every experience will be different and you will probably heal much faster than me because you are younger. That's a plus.

The most important thing I can tell you is the time Will Pass. I know it feels like forever. It can feel absolutely endless. But this too shall pass, I promise.

The second thing is I seem to have issues with my heel because of the external fixator. Dried skin, pain, etc. This gets better with time. Also any burning and throbbing pains will also start to really go away around the 8 to ten week mark.

I really think our recovery is a bit more painful due to having had both surgeries in so short a time period. I can tell you never have I had such pain, unhappiness and misery. And to be dependent on others was awful. I hated every minute and cried every day. I'm at four months now and starting to walk full weight in my boot. The only reason I am so late is that I am having inner ear troubles so also dealing with crazy ear pain and vertigo. Vertigo does not mix well with trying to walk again.

You are going to get through this. Listen to the doctors and be patient. Being careful and cautious now means less chances for problems later! Look into vitamin c for helping the bone heal. If you are not on blood thinners supplement with garlic, ginger and turmeric to keep blood flowing good. Always tell your doctor before starting anything new! Move your legs a lot. Lift them up and down. Move enough that your limbs never fall asleep. This keeps muscles from weakening and keeps blood flowing.

Its going to get better!!! 

Jenn

• Posted

Ya the external thing was def a pain but I figured if I could get thru that I could get thru anything at this point!!! And I stay moving and going outside and just trying to get out for a little while to stay busy...
  • Posted

Wow!!! I know what you are going through. I broke my ankle in two different places. In got two steel plates and 18 screws. I broke it pretty bad!!! Fixing to be two months now. And fixing to get the second cast off and get a air boot. You just hang in there!! If you want to cry!!! Cry!!! And I got three more months to four more months before I go back to work. I do a lot of praying and there's times I get depressed too and you should know let that get to you it cannot get worse just do what the doctor say stay off it and when the doctor tells you to put weight on it just do it slowly gently and don't overdo it and everything will get better just hang in there you can do it you take care I will pray for you and God bless!!!

• Posted

Hey Jessie, I also broke my ankle on June 23 2018, roller skating as well. Actually, I play roller derby and I was playing in a tournament. I fractured the fibula, dislocated the tibia and severed the ligaments that hold the two together. This is the second time I have done this, but not to the same ankle. It IS depressing. I too am still NWB, my appointment is on the 9th. Did they give you a boot? Or are you in an actual cast. I have a boot (same one from last time) my surgeon told me to keep it off whenever Im sitting, to elevate it and flex my foot forward and backwards while I elevate. It helps with the stiffness, gives you a purpose and does in a weird way help with the pain. I get burning/ sensations on the top of my foot and my incision area is completely numb. I just take regular Advil when it gets throbbing and Ice and elevate. There’s not much to do about it. Maybe take up crocheting or something. It helps pass the time. Also, I bought a kneeling scooter so that I am able to get out and about more. Try to sit in the sunshine for at least an hour per day and there are excercise videos online for people with injuries. Best of luck, just remember, this is one small bump in the road of life. Just wear your seatbelt and take er easy. 
    • Posted

I was learning how to skate haha some little kid didn’t know how to stop and knocked me right of the step to get on the rink my leg stayed straight but my ankle did a 90 degree turn it was a first time for a broken bone so needless to say I will not be skating ever again haha! They put me in a boot after they took all the stitches are out my doctor doesn’t really believe in a cast he said the boot will keep my foot they way it should be and he said that way I can’t take it off and shower and do little movements he just don’t want any weight on it! I do go outside and just sit out there and watch the birds fly by or the ducks run around and that helps I also took up the adult coloring to pass time as well!
  • Posted

Aww Bless you Jessie, I really hope you feel better soon. I broke my ankle over 18 months ago, nwb and in plaster cast for 2 months after the op to put in the plate and screws., I felt totally helpless for a long long time and know a little of what you are feeling. You will feel better as your leg heals I promise, you are lucky enough to have youth on your side and your inner energy will help you heal. I would see your doc though if you are worried about depression. I did get a little depressed and cried a lot but I was just feeling so sorry for myself and really really frustrated that I had to ask for everything, even a visit to the bathroom.

It will get better Jessie, take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.