So depressed this this morning after looking in the mirror

Posted , 6 users are following.

I thought I would have a look below this morning (not looked for couple of days) so upset looks like the opening of my vagina has shrunk, not using any meds at moment as I'm still battling a skin infection on my groin since early Dec. Was on antibiotics for 4 weeks, last lot I was prescribed gave me bad stomach pains. Still waiting for urgent hospital appointment . so worried was told not to use any clob ,thinks I'm allergic, or moisturisers. Ridiculous what is one supposed to do ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh you poor love, my heart goes out to you this is a hideous, depressing disease. I hate it with a passion !!! Following an excruciating cervical smear test I bought vaginal dilators, I use them 3 times a week with a gallon of lubricant and things have def improved a little in a short time. It was painful at first but now a lot more comfortable. Perhaps when you have got a hold on this damn infection you could try them ? Have you tried AVEENO I am sensitive to loads of things but find this fine, it was recommended by a gynae and dermatologist. or HYDROMOL OINTMENT it's a great barrier and moisturiser. do you spray water over your bits after using the loo ? Urine is really bad with ls. I've noticed a difference since doing that also. Good luck hon, let us know how you get on. You're not alone we know exactly how you feel. Big hug
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, I must say that I'm not as bad as some ladies , as in I don't get pain when I wee. I've got white patches, I was diagnosed last year. Ive had a terrible skin infection for 2 months now. Its my bits that are causing concern for me . I will buy a dictator, I'm so glad I have an understanding husband no intimacy for a long time. I cant use clob ,I'm sure it caused all the problems with my skin. I have read about hydromol ointment, there are so many products on the market. Thanks for your kind words it does help.
    • Posted

I didnt have any pain when weeing but because the skin is so sensitive to ANYTHING particularly the acid in wee i found it definitely had a detrimental effect on the skin. so i drink more water and use a little spray bottle of water with bicarb in it ( you maybe should not use bicarb with your skin being inflamed at the mo) just to dilute the effect of the urine. it keeps the skin clean. i strongly recommend  you use Hydromol oitmentment as a barrier  it really protects the skin and keeps it hydrated. the elasticity has come back to the skin and I dont have tears and sore bits now using this regime.  My white patches wetnt quite quickly with the Dermovate but as you seem allergic to steroid cream there must be something else they can give you.!   Will you be seeing a dermatologist or gynaecologist ?

I've heard you can get these dilators on NHS too.  That'll be one less thing for you to worry about at least.   I know we are not allowed to advertise on this forum but when you have a look for them they are the pink ones that fit inside each other like Russian dolls and the little case they come in is purple. 

• Posted

I've also noticed narrowing of the vagina recently and it was getting quite painful having sex with my boyfriend, so I thought I'd try vaginal dilators as well, I've only been using them for about two days, but honestly I've already seen a difference, sex is still painful but not as bad as before. I was so surprised it worked so quickly giving slight relief,so I would definitely recommend them to stop the narrowing. I bought mine of Amazon but I think  doctors might be able to prescribe them if you ask, as I saw the ones I bought stated they are used by the nhs on the box 
  • Posted

I got mine prescribed by my GP (in the UK). Used them for several months knowing I had smear test coming. Def. helped. Then relaxed for a couple ao months. Not quite back to square one, but can't afford to ever think you've got on top of this horrible disease.

Good Luck.

• Posted

I didn't know you get one on NHS, thats a bit of good news !. Amid all the doom and gloom. I'm in the UK.

Thanks,

• Posted

I can't diagnose for you, Lorraine. But I did have a fungal infection on my groin once while I had LS in the vulva. Sounds like your situation might be similar to mine. A GP (general practitioner is what they're called in Canada) at a clinic gave me another med for the fungal stuff (which worked after a couple of months) while I continued using the cortisone for the LS. He said I was overusing the cortisone, but I was using it the same as always. I don't think the GPs really know a heck of a lot about that.

I've found naturopaths/integrative practitioners can be helpful in these situations. For instance, you may need an oral med to help get rid of your infection such as olive leaf, which is a natural antibiotic. If you do need olive leaf, be prepared for a bit of a flare in the LS while you're on it but improvement overall once you've finished the course. Also, in my experience, if it IS fungus, it is responsive to sugar intake. Cut out as much sugar as you can. In any case as has been said here a lot, sugar is good to drop for the sake of your LS. (Again, GPs and gynies don't know diet, so don't ask them about it. They will likely only pooh-pooh the suggestion)

I would say you can't afford to leave off the cortisone. The LS will only get worse if you do.

Wishing you all the best! Hang in there. Big hugs....

• Posted

Lorraine, at one time I was afraid of the area down below to get infected, after my dilation procedure.  For that very reason I used an old method to fight infection:  the use of some baking soda/bi-carbonate in some warm water.  This has helped me in more than one way.  

Against narrowing I dilate every other day stil. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.