So down & frustrated.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with fibro over 2 yrs ago and every day is different in its self i have my bad days and try my best to cope. However for the last year and half i keep suffering with laryngitis or tonsilitus it either one or the other at 1 point i would get it every month. I went to my GP who refered me to ENT she seemed to think it was a symptom of my fibro. So i attended ENT and had a camera down my ENT and the consultant said everything was fine and i had a lovely voicebox he then proceded to tell me because the voicebox has muscles and fibromyalgia can attack the muscles this can be the cause. He also asked me what work i do so i said call centre op and he advised a job change. I love my job they have been brilliant in supporting me.

Last week i started with a sore throat again and out of hrs dr said it was a viral infection and antibiotics would not clear a viral nor laryngitis. Its got worse over the week so i went back to be seen by a dr who asked me what medication i was on so i told him then his reply was why so many painkillers so i said i have fibromyalgia then he smirked as if to say hypercondriact i felt embarressed and humiliated i am not there to be judged. The thing is when i have always had this it has never cleared on its own i have always been given anti biotics he gave me 9 tablets but told me to wait 24 hours i feel so drained unsupported i am tired off going to the gp as i feel im wasting their time im just a lost cause and have not got a clue what to do for the best!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

We have all been in your position friend, try and hang in there. I have been given that exact same look from a few doctors and consultants, nobody understands unless we are in our position, lately I had the same look from my own gp and I refused to leave until he heard me out. Things will get better I promise. It's a very misunderstood illness, and you feel sometimes your imagining it, I wish we were xxxxx there is people here who care x
    • Posted

I know it just infuriated me. The fact that one person can make me feel like that was awful and they have a duty off care how can they just brush it off! I need to try and get on with it. thanks x
  • Posted

Go and see another gp, it's obvious to me, this one sounds as if he/she has had enough of seeing you, or, they do not believe in fibromyalgia, perhaps you should send them some info on it, these drs think they are god!! Well!! They aint, dnt waste your time with the idiot, Enquire where you are whom, knows about finromyalgia, or move practice!! Please, report the idiot as well, to the practice manager, in writing, keep a copy, hope this helps, im with you, i had my to sils out., as i was suffering so mych woth my bad throats!! If in doubt, get it out, is my moto anywsy xxxx
  • Posted

It's the same thing over and over again doctors treating us like we're attention seeking I'm sick to death of this something really needs to be done to get more awareness out about fibromyalgia and doctors need to recognise it's a horrible illness and is most certainly real really makes my blood boil x
    • Posted

Same here, my I'm sick of going to doctors, for them to ask me what they should do!!!!! I was asked that from doc last week, I wonder if I had said find a cure for this nasty disease he would have. No help whatsoever,
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

He would have been better explaining to you his reason for asking why so many painkillers rather than smirking.. 

It depends on the type of painkillers you are on and how many you are taking.. As too many different kinds can make the pain worse and can cause serious damage.  Or a lot of the one painkiller make pain worse, stop working and lead to dependency

Its very unprofessional to ask a question, smirk at the answer and not go into the reason for asking the question in the first place..If he felt you were on too many all of the above should have been explained..

• Posted

Sending love and hugs 💗💗

My GP won't even refer me to a rheumatologist even though she thinks my symptoms are that of fibromyalgia. She thinks that because I slipped a disc and had a cancer scare that my body gone into shock and my nervous system affected.

I really feel for you. I've never experienced something to be so debilitating, humiliating, exhausting and excruciating all at once. My poor mum has MS and I think I now know a little of how she feels.

Keep going back and if that GP makes you feel belittled like that again, I would be making a formal complaint to the practice manager. They have a duty of care and your on pain meds for a valid reason.

Take care and don't give up.

Love and best wishes

Vicky xxx💗

• Posted

I know that look you get from drs I get it from colleagues . I've had fibromyalgia and M E for the last eight years its been awful I seem to get ill a lot and tired I'm fed up being in pain I also have osteo arthritis and suffer from sciatica. Over the years I have had laryngitis and tonsillitis the latter completely wiped me out I feel sorry for my daughter as she always has to take me to urgent care and look after me. I was in a full time job but have had to cut my hours to 24 a week but it just pays my rent and rates I have no idea where else to get help from im I scared about the future and im desperately trying not to take more time off work sick as I may lose my job im on fencino patches lidocaine patches meloxicam anti depressants and paracetamol I feel the same about not being supported.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.