So embarrassed...has this happened to anyone else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my an infected gallbladder removed in September 2016. After my op i had loose stools for about 6-8 weeks then it cleared back to normal. I am careful about what i eat and do not overdo things. Today i went out for breakfast with my family, i had a cooked breakfast which was mainly grilled. On the way home i passed wind (or so i thought), but i had actually followed through. I was mortified as i had no idea this was going to happen and it has only happened once today. Has anyone else had this happen after having their gallbladder removed?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Samantha,

This happened to me too after I had my gallbladder removed.  Your gallbladder not only measured your bile, but it also released it during digestion into your small intestine.  As a result of the surgery, bile is no longer measured and now drips constantly into your small intestine, causing an excess of bile in your digestive system.

You can try to control it with diet, but sometimes that's not effective, especially when you eat something that might have lots of fat in it.  Restaurants aren't choosy where they get the fat they use, so there's often a lot of it in meals, even grilled meals, because they put a substance on the grill to keep food from sticking.  That's why people who have had their gallbladders removed choose not to eat out lots.  

However, there is a solution.  Go back to your gp and ask for a prescription for a drug that binds the excess bile.  If you'll e-mail me privately, I'll give you the name of it and other suggestions.

Best of luck!

• Posted

hi lynda I have been following you and thanks for you advice. How to email privately regarding the issue of bile though I have to yet see surgeon and see my optionsĀ 
    • Posted

If you want to e-mail privately, just click on the envelope below my square to the left of this post.  Also, if you've had your gallbladder removed, the surgeon may not know about available medications.  I suggest you contact your gp or gastroenterologist, if you had one! Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Yes. Me! I was so hungry and went to a buffet with my family. Oh my god! I had it happen on our way home. Just through out my underwear as totally ruined!! I feel your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.