So far brilliant

Posted , 1 user is following.

I read the comments on this site before I went in for surgery yesterday and I do sympathise with the problems many of you have had.

I get that those who experienced problems are more likely to post details on the site and are maybe looking for advice.

However in the interests of balance I felt I should tell of my more positive experience so as to reassure others.

I am 71 years old and I had a hydrocele large enough to be causing discomfort.

Yesterday my wife dropped me off at the day surgery dept .

I was taken to an office where a Doctor ran through forms asking a number of medical questions and also detailed the possible side effects etc. in great detail.

I was asked to sign these forms which I did.

The reality is we live in a world of ambulance chasing lawyers getting people to sue because they weren't told their scars might be unattractive.

Anyway I was eventually taken to a room outside the operating theatre and the anaesthetist inserted a cannula ,injected a premed and told me I would feel woozy.

Seconds later I was out and next thing I knew was awake again in the recovery ward.

I was sent home a few hours later.

I took a couple of the supplied painkillers to ward off any pain I might have when any hospital administered pain control wore off.

24 hours later I have no pain . My hydrocele has gone and I expect the slight difference in size between my left and right testicles will reduce further when any swelling goes down.

I have dissolvable stitches and no need for a follow up appointment.

I do believe that the great majority of people will have no complications from what I understand to be a relatively simple procedure.

So my advice would be if you are lucky enough to be given a date for surgery, take it and honestly don't worry , it will be fine.

ps I was in the recovery ward with 3 other patients who had different types of operations requiring overnight stay.

They were being given dinner and as there was plenty left over I was kindly offered a sausage casserole with mash and carrots which I happily accepted.

I was surpringly really hungry...so a good result all round!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.