So far I'm very happy!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Many thanks to everyone for patiently answering the countless questions I've posted over these many months. My second cataract surgery was completed last week! I chose to target -1.5D for the first eye for reading and computer and -1.0D for the second eye for distance. So far I'm very happy!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

in another post you said your first eye was -2. did that end up at -1.5?

glad you are happy.

• Posted

Yes, the -2.0 D was at one week. At 8 weeks the refraction was -1.75 D and the spherical equivalent was -1.5 D.

• Posted

Glad to hear it's going well. Thanks for the update.

• Posted

I'd be very curious to know what your uncorrected distance is in the -1 eye. I'm guessing 20/40?

• Posted

Will see surgeon and later this week and report back! I can say that my vision seems better now than I can remember.

• Posted

Wonderful outcome. Thank you for posting. I just want to know if you need progressives! You have contributed, also, with lots of encouragement.

• Edited

Thanks Julie! My optometrist suggested I have a refraction for glasses 4-6 weeks after the second cataract surgery. I'm not sure I'll need progressive glasses at that time. That said, I'm sure distance glasses at least for night driving will be in my future.

How are things progressing with your light adjustable lenses?

• Posted

hi Judith, may I ask your target refraction for near and far? what IOL (including brand) have you selected? you have mentioned -1D for far, is that the target? why not a closer target like -0.5 or -0.75? are you high myopic?

i went to two surgeons and for monofocals, one told me target is -0.2 and the other one -1. i am a high myope with about -11.5 in L eye and -10.5 in R.

Thanks.

• Edited

Hi Sam,

I chose near / intermediate rather than distance. In my earlier post, I mentioned targeting -1.0D for distance because my first eye targeted -1.5D for intermediate. So -1.0D might be considered distance, intermediate or near depending on the context. I chose Alcon Clareon lenses. I was moderately myopic but the reason I chose near / intermediate was to avoid readers!

My doctors suggested a more distance focused target such as you mentioned above. Due to the maturity of my cataract, I was not able to trial any form of monovision. I had considered mini-monovision initially but decided to minimize the difference between my eyes by choosing -1.0D for my second eye. My goal was to see well inside the house for all purposes and wear glasses outside. I'm very happy with my vision inside with the -1.0D lens but I always expected to wear glasses for outside activities.

One more comment on the -1.0D target. I might have considered targeting -1.0D rather than -1.5D for my first eye because I've noticed that my reading vision is very good with this lens as well.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Judith93585 - what was your glasses prescription before any cataract surgery? I am hoping it is similar to mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.