So far so good.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Some of you may have read my posts and my ongoing withdrawal from Mirtazapine. I'm now down to 7.5mg. Initially I had a little trouble getting off to sleep on this dose, but now its ok. I intend stopping next week. My next target is to come off the Venlafaxine. I haven't had any difficult withdrawal symptoms. I have experienced itching around my neck, but I'm also perimenopausal and itching is also a symptom of that. Unfortunately I haven't lost any weight sad but that may be the Venlafaxine effect. I'm just writing this to give hope to those contemplating withdrawal from Mirtazapine. Obviously I'm not off it altogether.....yet!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well on withdrawing from Mirtazapine. How much were you on and for how long am on Mirtazapine 45 and Venlafaxine 150. I have been on it for just over a year post having my gallbladder removed. I also had a new knee 3 months ago and have been able to recover from that without going down. I am in my mid 70s and would like to come off both sometime in the future. My psychiatrist said that it would be minimum 2 years. I would happily stay on for the rest of my life but I have put on some weight with the Mirtazapine and the Venlafaxine makes me have an awful taste in the mouth so long as I can stay good I would like to at least reduce both in time.
    • Posted

To be honest my memory of time spans is not good I only can be sure that in 2002 I was started on the combination of the two starting at Mirtazapine 30mg and Venlafaxine 150mg. 4 years ago when I hit a crisis the Mirtazapine was increased to 45mg. Last year my Venlafaxine was increased to 225mg. Throughout all this my anxiety persisted and in fact got worse. I had little help from my GP. They just want to up meds, only later did I discover that the higher Mirtazapine was making the anxiety worse. I'm now receiving counselling is, this helping. I feel confident that I can come off my meds but I'm not rushing it. My withdrawal plan will take me to next August for the Venlafaxine. That's if I'm successful. I'm not pressuring myself. If I can get off the Mirtazapine and still sleep it will be a milestone. The Venlafaxine may be harder but if I don't try I won't know. My overall target is to loose weight and be drug free, in that order!

• Posted

Hi Catherine

7.5 mg is quite a lot to jump off from, some would say cold turkey.  You could go to 3.75?  Save yourself getting stuck in wd symptoms.   Did you say you havn't had any problems tapering so far, apart from "a little trouble geting to sleep"  ??  Thats good ot hear - long may it continue, pleased for you.

Wising you well.

• Posted

good job!. I am also tapering mirtazapine and am down to 1.5mg now. Originally went on 3months ago at 3.75mg starting dose. I intend to taper as low as I can go as I originally went on it for sleep about 3 months ago and dont want to get myself in the same pickle by jumping off too early.

Also on effexor. Been on it for 6 years + which includes a year long failed taper this past summer which resulted in reinstatement. Had horrendous parasthesia symptoms which only now I am starting to stabilize after 5 months. So please be careful and go very slow. My year long taper apparently wasn't long enough and my neurologist informed me that it is quite difficult to get a woman in their 40's off effexor. 

• Posted

How are you feeling now? I just came off 4 days ago, and am looking for some encouragement. smile

• Posted

Hi thanks for asking. I've been off them completely since last Thursday. My final nightly dose was 3.75mg so no big withdrawal. I am experiencing some sleep difficulties but I've got a heavy cold so that's not helping. On the whole I feel good. No anxieties, no feeling on edge all the time. It's early days yet I'm ready for setbacks. I'm now reducing my Venlafaxine, very slowly. How do you feel? Did you reduce slowly or did you go cold turkey as they say?

• Posted

Oh good! Sorry about the sleep difficulties. I've heard that a cold can be withdrawal too. smile I'm glad you are feeling well!! I am doing alright. The first 3 days were pretty torturous-anxiety attacks, nausea, cramps, and awful insomnia! I couldn't eat or sleep for 3 days. sad I was on 7.5 for two months. My doc said to quit cold turkey, but I decided to do 3.75 for a few days and then nothing. smile I felt the 3.75 a little bit, but not much, so I dropped. The first day was the worst! Just hoping I'm over it and more isn't coming. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.