So fatigued after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

its been a week today since I've had my gallbladder removed.i have a few problems like the gas that is still in my shoulders and chest.anyone know how long this takes to diminish? also i am so tired i have to really force myself to do things.any time frame on that? don't like that gassy feeling in my upper chest and shoulders.my belly is still alittle bloated which makes me short of breath.anyone with similar situation? thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Vivian. please just be patient. all of your symptoms are from the surgery. there are no set parameters of how for recovery. everyone is different. you cannot recover from this major surgery in a few weeks. that's the reality of life. it took me several months to a year to feel somewhat normal again. it takes patients you must learn. hang in there we all know what you are going through. any other questions we are all here for you bye. feel better.

• Posted

yeh it's a hard one.I try to do light things around the house to at least keep my muscles @active but man this just knocks the crap out of you!they tell you acouple of weeks but no way ! I'm doing pretty good stomach is still bloated and I get out of breath when walking around most of the gas has left my shoulders and chest. still having bm problems can't seem to go everyday.but I can tolerate most foods now. patience is a virtue I guess.🙏😕

• Posted

HI vivian,

i truly empathise with you, remember that your body has been through a lot. just a recommendation to help with the gas left in your system from the operation. i used Activated Charcoal tablets, they are great for absorbing the gas left over.

another, tip sleep mainly on your back, i found sleeping on my side uncomfortable and would trap the gas. was too painful to lie on my side.

eat small meals little and often whatever you can cope with. avoiding fatty foods. i also had a support pillow to sleep with which supported my body shoulders, which was perfect for rest. i could not sleep flat as i was feeling nauseas now and again. trust me, things will get better. hang in there! be kind to yourself. need any further tips message me. kind regards Joanne

• Posted

thanks Joanne I do have those charcoal caps .I also got something from Amazon called super d igestaway. I take one before I eat it really helps with digesting your food which I'm having no problem with. my bowel movements are giving me issues. can't seem to go that much .I guess I just need to be patient (hard to do 😕)

• Posted

Hi Vivian, i can relate to the bowel issues, it took me a while for them to recover and had constipation a lot, but ive been taking co-codamol for a long time after the op and even now five months on. I have Osteoarthritis so that caused a lot of pain.

I still get fatigued and try and look after myself.

Ive been naughty today with foods when i visited friends. as long as i don't eat too much fatty foods I am generally ok.

I found porridge helped settle my stomach and weet-abix and Bran helped me to go the toilet.

It will get better and i kept low fat fruit biscuits helped when i felt sickness at all. How long since your op now? keep a diary of what you can eat and foods that don't agree with you. look after yourself and get plenty of rest. ind regards Jo

• Posted

hey Joann, its been 9 days since surgery so I guess it's normal at this point to be fatigued.it whipped my butt! I've been taking a supplement called super digestaway which i take before a meal.it helps break down fats etc.seems to be working good.yeh the constipation i hope will dissipate once everything settles down.just hard to lay around when you want to go go go!😊😊

• Posted

Hi Vivian, You have got to give your body time to heal and if you had a poor diet with the GB in, you have now got to get the body functioning properly but that will only come once your eating properly and healed. So it really depends on what you ate before extraction and for how long you where not able to tolerate foods you normally could eat.

Himalyan Pink salt is good for electrolytes and Bone Broth for stomach nutrients all of which will have depleted if you suffered for long enough time. Fatigue is not surprising but I have just completed an 11 day water fast and you have to start eating very slowly mainly soups or water melon and soft fruits for 2 or 3 days. Then your body can work properly again. And the really odd thing is, I felt worse with the Gall Bladder complaining and not being able to eat, compared to fasting and not wanting to eat, once you have got past the barriers of the brain craving for Caffeine or Carbs - Sugar, which comes in the form as a head ache, once over this you really get used to not wanting to eat and it is a real WOW moment when you start eating again as everything tastes so different, this lasts for a couple of days, a bit like giving up smoking your sense of smell comes back.

The only reason I did a fasting diet was because I was not eating properly anyway but glad I have done it! I really wish I had of known about fasting diet when I was chronically bad last December January where as in June July I was eating pretty well with Veg and Fruits

which to where I am now, eating more healthily than I ever have been.

So take your time to heal as best you can and with rest.

• Posted

yes lots of soups and fruits and veggie.my stomach is tolerating food pretty well.I've avoided caffiene( I really miss my cokes) fatigue,yeah that's a big issue. I do try to do little things just to get me going alittle but then I get wiped out! I haven't been having a bm everyday dont know if that's normal or not and when I do its loose and ugly,I call it my no.3☺ did you experience that in the beginning.its been 9 days since my surgery.they say people can go back to work in 2 weeks!they must have super powers!!😕

• Posted

I not had mine out but reading others posts reckon it will be 3 weeks before you should be doing anything strenuous. Going back to work would again depend upon how long you suffered before extraction and what things you was eating or not as maybe the case.

Now today I have had Pizza with extra cheese and onion and have had no issues with GB, so I am now looking forward to not having my GB out, Yayyyyyyyy.

So the Apple Cider Vinegar seems to have worked well and I have started brewing my own and it smells great. This is a huge mile stone for me not suffering any more.Have a Great Xmas and Happy New Year.

• Posted

hi Julian.Im retired so that i dont have to worry about.i know apple cider vinegar is good for you,wonder if it would help heal now that the gb is gone?

• Posted

Hi Vivian, I'm pretty sure the diet I was on was more important but the ACV and fasting certainly has also helped. After I have been to Hospital in January whatever they say I shall do the Gall Bladder flush.

I have to say I would never have tried Pizza unless I had done the fasting and drinking ACV. I have today had hot dogs something else I could not eat, so something has definitely changed.

I think you have got to wait until you see how your tummy reacts to bile dripping into your intestine and if you don't suffer in that way, then yes I do not see why not. If you suffer with diarrhea then I would say no because this would suggest your not coping with bile. I do not think you should drink acidity on top of diarrhea as this will make things worse. Also just eating an apple a day may well help if you do suffer with bile problems.

I will keep in touch with this forum so as to let people know, with what has gone on with me and most definitely after I have done the flush.

But being able to eat cheese is a big WOW for me already. I also want to add this is in NO way giving myself the Green light to going back to my old eating habits, I am just proving to myself I have changed by eating alone.

• Posted

at this point I'll wait on the acv as my bowel movements just aren't settled yet although i am tolerating food quite well.ill keep you posted.

• Posted

No its a bit early for you, so close to OP you do not need acidity right now, the good sign is your able to eat OK. If your going from loose to hard stool they say this the tummy adjusting to the change, so signs look good for you. Try and write down what does what to you, it'll give you an idea what types of food you can cope with. Once healed the food types that are OK with you, can then be expanded upon. Its always worth keeping a list.

• Posted

I'll hold off on acid stuff.yeh its going from loose to hard so it must be adjusting.the thing is,and I don't know if its related but I've been nervous and am on medication for it.i don't know if its from the stomach healing or what but just not my relaxed self.I know the stomach can affect the nerves ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.