So fed up of being inflamed and sore

Posted , 12 users are following.

Any advise welcome! I had a vulva biopsy on 29th December, since then I have been inflamed and sore (whole area not just around the biopsy) itching doesn't seem to be my biggest problem. I have tried fucibet (was told only to use for 7 days), emuaid, coconut oil, nappy rash cream, aqueous cream and bi-carb all of which haven't helped, have started using Vaseline today. Have I over done things and just confused my skin with all the different solutions I've tried, I just want to sit and have a good cry now. I am at my wits end as I don't know what to do for the best :'( my follow up apt isn't for another 4 weeks. If I just put up with the inflammation and soreness will it just get worse or will it calm down if I leave well alone.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel your pain, I've been doing the same with all the creams, just want some relief. I have a hospital appointment in 2 weeks. Hopefully get to see someone who knows what's causing my symptoms of constant burning and stinging.
  • Posted

Poor you.  I think you have indeed overdone it.  In my experience nothing helped in such a short time.  It's the diligent and patient approach that had the best result for me.  

And what worked best for me was the bicarbonate and coconut treatment.  Rinsing after every bathroom visit, every other day a bicarbonate bath.  Plus the alkaline diet.  And of course at the very beginning the more frequent use of Globetasol. (now only occasionally) Meanwhile I am a good year on the go.  

There is a lot that I keep doing to remain where I am today.  LS will never leave, or be cured, but you can eventually make it liveable.  

Any further questions - just ask.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I am red & sore all day every day, so I know how you feel,and I have tried every kind of lotion & potion going.

I use just the tiniest smidgen of Dermovate, it makes it reder and stings a little for about 10 minutes, then all is calm, I also use Epaderm as a barrier, as I have said I have tried all the other creams, even got some sent over from the states, but they just made it worse.

Hope this helps X

• Posted

It took quite a while for my biopsy to heal - a couple of months, I think. Yes, I would stick with one cream that's simple and neutral. I've tried several, and finally came to that conclusion. I prefer the natural stuff myself, so I go with fresh-pressed virgin coconut oil. All the best!!
  • Posted

It took eight weeks for my biopsy to heal - I had so much scarring already that the stitches just pulled throuth and left me with a big hole! My gyn suggested avoiding clob till the wound healed, sitting in a comfortably warm sitz bath for 10 mins twice daily with a few drops of tea tree oil in it and applying high-grade manuka honey to the area at night. I was really surprised at how well this worked.  Clob should not be used near an open wound like a biopsy site, it delays healing. One tip, wear old knickers if you're going to use the manuka honey, it's a bit messy!
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip, Kate. I will look for manuka honey.

Re knickers. I don't wear them at all!! (confession smile Only cotton slips and skirts. I found all knickers irritating to the LS.

• Posted

Hi Jackie, personally I have never used Vaseline on my undercarriage  because I am suspicious of the smell, and I don't like that its too clingy and that it literally sticks to your body like glue!!..I do think in your place I would have to use a little something to wash it off, and then I would sit in some cold water with nothing in it, and maybe afterwards if needed I would apply a tiny bit of Lube (from the fridge) 

I don't think you can beat Lube for a while, and then maybe go back to the coconut oil, some ladies like Emu oil but I don't think its good for me anymore because I realized I am allergic to feathers, and of course this oil comes from a big bird. 

Remember we are all different and what works for one person may not work for another, that's why I suggested the Lube, as it could be that you really have overdone things and just need to not put anything on there for a couple of days.  

I also think its a good idea not to wear underwear for a while too...let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi it took my biopsy about a month to heal and it was a bad time as I could not use clob. I used fusidin cream and it still got infected a little. Once it had healed and I was back on the clob things got better. It took a long time to get a barrier cream and lots of try's the thing that works best for me is johnsons sensitive jelly it's found in the baby section as mums use it under nappies. You will find something that works it just takes time. The other one people talk about is hydromol x
  • Posted

If you can find time try sitting in either salt or bi carb bath get everything all plump and lovely and put one cream on that is going to be soothing. Did fucibet work (I don't know it ) ? If you haven't been given anything that is working you need to go back to doctor. Don't wait four weeks. Red and inflamed could be other issues going on. Drink lots of water to help dilute your urine. Spritz with bi carb or salt/water after ever loo visit (if you can). Try not stress it won't help. No nickers is a good idea - good luck
  • Posted

To cool the area why not try wrapping crushed ice in a flannel and cooling the area down - reducing the blood flow may reduce the swelling and the pain - but obviously this is only a short term solution

Cool the area with cool air with hairdryer - cover the area with your barrier ointments to stop  drying out which will make the area even more sore

Go commando wear (long ) skirts and dont sit for long periods at a time

As long as you have thoroughly washed and cleaned the area of all the lotions and potions I doubt you will have damaged the area further - because I imagine that you are not allergic to any of the product- but it maight be worth while checking the ingredients  and see if you have set up an allergic reaction. Go with the simplest purist ointments and stay with that for a reasonable period and then try another if it isnt working

Write down what you are doing - ie with the ointments then keep a diary of your food and drink intake and your moods, that way you may be able to pin point what it is that is affecting you. Perhaps take a photograph - with a camera NOT a phone to keep as reference and to show your clinic next month

Good luck  I hope it soon calms down

Sue

• Posted

Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts and suggestions. It's the uncertainty of it all that worries me, you get a headache and take paracetamol 9 times out of 10 it goes. With this complaint it's all trial and error plus it will never completely go, but if I can get it under control I'm sure I will be able to cope. 
    • Posted

Hi Jackie I know only too well how upsetting and distressing the B***** condition is and feeling helpless and not being able to pinpoint what causes a flare up or the reversal of one. If you are in the UK do take part in the survey

British Association of Dermatologists have a survey for one month only, about vulval disease, results will be used for media awareness. Please take the survey

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/important-survey-358964

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link to the survey with a link to the discussion about it. If you want to advise users of the survey use the link above as it will not go for moderation.

• Posted

See the comment by Ava63546 about : British Association of Dermatologists have a survey for one month only, about vulval disease, results will be used for media awareness. Please take the survey

the link is being moderated at the moment so do look for it as it may be time limited

• Posted

I have completed the survey. More people need to know about this condition.
  • Posted

I would take a brake from the steroid cream if you are using it and make sure you are putting it only in the LS affected skin not every were because the healthy skin will go raw I haven't personally used the baking soda but heard it works I had my back end go raw and what worked best fir that area was medicated baby powder fir the vagina I just took a break fir a few days and then only applied it to the white parts witch helped I think I was putting it every were it didn't need it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.