so frightend about tom

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I am so frightend about tom going to rehab for my assessment I don't know what to expect at all no one knows I am going to rehab so I can't even talk this over with friends or family so I hope you guys don't mind me overloading on you all this is one journey I have got to take alone so I have no idea what I am going to tell them why I will not be around for a while but my main priority is to try and sort this mess I am in and try to salvage something from  the rest of my life as the last 30 of them as been destroyed by alchol I need to do this but like I said I have no idea what this assessment is about so frightend sorry for rambling on

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Be honest, it's the only way to the remedy.xxx
  • Posted

Jsvkie.

I can take a guess what will be involved in the assessment.

The assessment will be designed to find out what has led you to where you are now. Events which may have contributed to you drinking more than you should have, how much you are drinking and the pattern you follow (all day topping up or evening binges, etc). Your home situation, your relationships etc.

You have nothing to fear, just be honest. Whatever you have to say, they will have heard it all before from people and they will have known people in a much worse situation than you are in, so no need to be embarrassed at all.

Try not to worry. The idea is that they HELP you, not make you feel worse. Honesty may be difficult, but they can help you better if they know the whole picture.

• Posted

Hi Paul thanks for putting my mind at rest I went yesterday for my assessment at rehab I was so nervous it was unreal a voulenter showed me round and basically told me about the program it is a 16 wk program which I was not prepared for I had a chat with someone and I will be having a longer asessment with a mental health worker who works their the guy said around the middle jan he asked me if I had any questions but I was so overwhelming I could not think of any at the time I don't know if I can do it Paul it's 4 months I want to stop drinking that is my priority and I know as the guy said I have done well going yesterday he said it was the first step to holding up your hands and saying you need help and he said you should give yourself a pat on the back for even being their yesterday it's  being round people it was realy difficult I have been on my own in the house for a number of years now not hardly going out my own front door so I felt very uneasy when I saw just a few people there I was jumping I did not know how to make conversation with people so how am I going to be able to do this 16 wk program when it consist of doing group discussion I dont think I can do it Paul that's not a ex use that I don't want to give up alchol I really do its the mixing with people that I don't think I can do that's how isolated I have become I just don't know what to do any advice
    • Posted

Jsvkie you did more yesterday than you've done in months/years so well done for going. Am sure it would feel strange meeting new people in such a different environment for us all, so not surprising you found it difficult. Don't forget people in group discussions are all in the same boat, and will be having the same fears and doubts as you which is normal. Good luck.
  • Posted

Good luck. Will be thinking of you and how brave you are, especially without close support from family or friends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.