So got spirometry results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Hope Christmas was good and 2016 will be a healthy and happy one.

Got long awaited spiro test today.

Results are FEV1 77

FVC 90

FEV1/FVC 92

Nurse said make appointment to see GP but now have to wait til 18 Jan.  Feel like this has been going on for ever and still no further forward.

Can anyone throw some light on these results?

Thanks

Maureen

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Those figures look fairly good to me, but if the nurse who did the test didn't offer an explanation at the time, did you ask her what they meant?

Check out the Spirometry entry down below the ads on the right hand side of this page if you want to research this for yourself while you're waiting to see your gp.

• Posted

Hi there. She just said that's fine.  Just make an appointment with gp on way out.

I've been so upset these last few weeks that I'm in a daze.

• Posted

What are you upset about?   I'd be happy if my spirometry results were as low as that
    • Posted

Hi 

Think i've read so much in the past few weeks that i can;t get my head around any of it any more.  Still don't know if i have copd/emphysema or what.

• Posted

Hi Maureen please be assured that with these numbers you are fine.  I am about the same and have been since diagnosis around 5 years ago at the age of 56.  Ok you have got copd (whether you have emphysema or Chronic Bronchitis isn't important at this stage and may medics either won't know which you have or will insist like mine does that it's all copd).  It is more important in the later stages but you will probably never get there.   

Copd is a chronic condition but with a healthy lifestyle you can hold it steady for many years yet so please don't worry so much.  My doctor told me that something else would get me first ie old age.  So unless you want to live to 120 you still have a long and healthy life ahead of you.   Anxiety will make it worse....  

If you are in the UK contact The British Lung Foundation and they will send you loads of bumph about it.   The more proper knowledge you have the better you will feel.  Please don't rely on Dr Google as you will see too many horror stories.  We are the ones living with it so learn from us.  Ok?   x

• Posted

Thanks for that.  did you make any lifestyle changes when diagnosed?
    • Posted

I first had an asthma attack back 1992 ,that's when I gave up smoking ,it scared me that much ,on and off I had chest infections ,and I put on weight ,my daypughter suggested my lungs wouldn't have to work so hard if I lost the weight ,I lost 2 stone ,tut was still restricted with shortness of breath so hubby used to say leave it I'll do it ,then in 2008 I was very poorly and that was when I was asked to the pulmary rehab course and from then on I never looked back ,I now go to the gym  twice a week for an hour ,and I can do most things ,yes I have bad days. I've been poorly with a chest infection for the last 3 weeks but I know that as soon as I am over this I will be back at the gym ,I can reccomend the pulmary rehab course ,you'll see most of us on here have done the course ,,,,more than once ,, light exersise will do you the world of good ,I also don't be help the aged sit down class exersise once a week that mupight be a good one to start with ( oops not knowing your age ) until you can get into pulmary rehab ,I'm aged 70 in 10 days time ,so please keep positive ,I wish you well ,
    • Posted

I must admit not really Maureen.  Since my diagnosis I have retired (due to age - not illness) and my relatively stress free life helps my mood which is important.  I take my sisters dog out every day and try to do longer walks with her so I get more exercise.   I live by the seaside and the salt in the air seems to help my breathing.   I make more effort to eat healthily but do relapse too much.  

I am still smoking which I know is stupid but I am more determined to give up and keep trying.  So far I am getting away with it but I know that smoking will one day cause my copd to accelerate. 

I am much more lung aware and take any infections very seriously as they can further damage the lungs,  so I don't take chances with them.   If you do have copd most doctors will give you a rescue pack (antibiotics and maybe steroids) in case of an exacerbation (chest infection or just a worsening of your symptoms).   This is very good for when you can't get an appointment with your doctor and at holiday periods.   Ask your doctor or nurse for them.

I have had asthma for around 30 years so do know my lungs quite well.  I know from hearing from others that living a healthy lifestyle is important so I try my best.   Good luck to you.   Bev x

• Posted

Thanks for that.  I have stopped smoking which is great for my lungs but not so good for mynerves!!!
    • Posted

I am so pleased you have given up!  I do know that is the best thing you can do for your lungs,  if not your nerves smile   Bev x
    • Posted

Thanks for that.  Am seeing GP on 18th so will ask about PR course.
    • Posted

Please stop smoking ,,,,,,thinking of your future health concerns ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.