So Happy with my TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all - I promised myself that I'd do this and kept forgetting, so here goes.

I had a TKR in May 2017. It was a rough recovery, and after about 10 weeks, I had an MUA. After that, things moved along quickly in the right direction. A few months later I traveled to Peru (a trip I canceled the year before to have the surgery) and did a lot of hiking. For some reason, this past summer I had a temporary setback for no apparent reason, which really freaked me out but it only lasted a week. I have incredible flexion and no pain and am so happy. This site has been very helpful to me, but those of you going through the worst of it, keep in mind that most people that are doing well (myself included) no longer visit. That's why I promised myself that when I was better, I would.

My best advice:

1. You've heard it before, but don't compare yourself to anyone else. There is such a wide range of recovery times with this surgery.
  2. Take your pain meds and do the PT exercises right away. That was a big part of my issue. I have a very high tolerance to opioids (& all meds) and although my doc was great and tried different ones, nothing really helped with the pain and I developed scar tissue.

So, keep your collective chins up and do whatever you have to, including letting friends and family help. Best of luck to everyone.

Terri LF

7 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

That's great for you Terri, well done...it's encouraging for the rest of us who are not back to normal yet...almost 6 month's on.

• Posted

It's good for someone to come here and tell about their recovery. Many come at the start of recovery but don't return to let others know how well they are doing. Recovery is a journey, longer for some than others, but with physio , exercise, correct medication you get there in the end. Don't give up and like me you will be having no problems 20 years after your TKR.

• Posted

Dear Terri, how lovely you took the time to post your message. I'm nearly 5 weeks post op L TKR and i hunted for a forum where i could vent, and found this site. I thought i'd be miserable forever but reading other's journeys and fixes, the good and not so good gave me the perspective i'd been lacking. I'm just keeping on with all the physio and worrying a whole lot less.

Warm regards, Mary.

• Posted

I'm coming up to 6mth and its been hell wish i had never had it done

in more pain now then b4 but i hope and prey i will turn that corner

i do enjoy reading the positive story's as one day that will be me .

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, i can see from the comments that the variation is extreme. I have turned a bit of a corner at 5 weeks thankfully., but every day is hard yakka as we say in Australia! Hoping you get some improvement soon. x

• Posted

Hi had my right tkr 12 months ago now. The first 6 months were hell but then i turned a corner. I feel great now and can walk down a hill with ease. My acl has been torn for along time and I had to always be careful what I did especially the hills. My husband even commented on how good I was. I am so happy I had it done. I had my cartilage removed at 18 and at 48 I had my knee replaced. Hope it lasts 20 years. My advice is to stay positive which I know is hard and keep exercising. Good luck everyone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.