So I am curious how many deal with this.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Greetings to all.

I have dealt with Kidney stones going back to when I was about 12 years old. First time it was confirmed was when I was 17, thought I was going to die from the pain. Turned out to be about a 5mm elongated stone that took about 2 months to finally come out. Was a calcium oxilate (as all have been). Had another about 28ish, then was trouble free until right before I turned 40 and had another one. Since then every single time I get a little dehydrated (usually because I start drinking Soda and my fluid intake drops like a rock) I get stones, usually on the left but not always. Most have been around 2-3mm and some require ER trips and some just cause just enough pain to let you know something is not right. For instance currently I am about 98% sure I have one. Had some minor/moderate back pain a couple weeks ago and now it hurts down low and occasionally up my back. I seem to get them stuck a few inches away from my bladder then its s slow trip to the bladder.

Almost 46 and in the last 5 years I bet I have had 10-15 kidney stones. I have went to urologists and keep getting told. Drink WATER, lots of it. Which yes when I do I dont seem to have them. My problem is on a normal day unless I force myself I will only drink about 8-31 oz of fluid. Been that way all my life, so this drink water thing has been a really hard adjustment. 

Sometimes I think people think I am nuts and just making it up that you can get these things that easy, and sometimes I feel like I am nuts when I start hurting or see a little blood colored urine and have that sinking feeling.

So I guess what I am asking is are there more like me around? Surely I cant be the only one that deals with this?

Jack

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jack,

You sound like me. My urologist said that i needed to be drinking about 2 liters of fluid a day which i find impossible to do, but I'm trying. I cut out pop over a year ago. I still drink about a half cup of coffee during the week while I'm at work. I notice that when i don't drink enough water i start getting the flank pain so i start to increase my water intake. I hate the kidney stones exist! But you are not alone.

• Posted

Ofcourse you are not the only one dealing with this. Join the club. I struggle with drinking a lot of water as well.

It's easy says my sister, really I say.

I had kidney stones removed by keyhole surgery on 4th December. Had them for over a year absolute agony.

It was complicated because I have horseshoe kidneys (they are joined together) so the stones were very difficult to get to. I had to see 4 different consultants before one actually agreed to operate. They just kept referring me to someone else. In the end I got an excellent consultant who managed to remove all the stones but he was very close to the liver and bowel area so very tricky. Recovering OK. Still a bit of pain in kidney area hence awake at this unearthly hour of the morning.

Do take care and keep in touch

Remember you are not alone in all this.

Fellow sufferer.

Sarah xx 

• Posted

I'm 39 and have had three bouts since I was 37. The first was large and required shockwave lithotripsy, the second brought me to the ER where shortly after I passed 4 individual 4mm stones and an additional 2 within the following week. My last case was this past October where I had a uretorscopy with laser lithotripsy to remove another large stone. They are also calcium oxylate. Dietary information is confusing and my urologist tells me to drink 130 to 150oz of water per day. I just can't do it. I should also mention at least one of my kidneys is shaped in a way that traps sediment, causing stones to form. I recently ordered an inversion table to help the sediment find it's way out...and I started taking the herb Chanca piedra because some people claim it helps break down and prevent stones. I will find out if it has prevented anything in February when I go back for follow-up x-ray. It has been an unpleasant and expensive two years. This year my husband took out the maximum allowed in our flexible spending account to help us cope with all the out-of-pocket medical expenses because I'm fully expecting to get more. I'm lucky if I can get 60oz of water in me a day and I love water. But I drink when I'm thirsty and these days I don't often feel thirsty. I try not to feel frustration over it...but it's turned into a chronic issue. I can definitely relate to what you are going through.

• Posted

I agree the information on dietary is often confusing and contradictory even between doctors. The last 2 urologists have also suggested 130 up to 180 oz of water... WHOA... I can do that on a day I am out cutting firewood all day or something along those lines, but a normal day I am lucky to force myself to drink 1 and a half hydroflasks full of water (40oz size) so yes about 60 oz. And I loathe water.

I am getting somewhat used to drinking it, but still not like a fan of it.

Funny story.. When I had my 2nd one after my 40th b-day it sent me to the ER. They did a CT scan and confirmed it but then like a day or two later I get a call from my regular doctors office. I remember it very clearly, I was in line at a fast food drive through so I did not answer it. As soon as I was through the line I pulled over and checked my voice mail. It was one of the nurses and here is what she said:

"Hi we have the final results of our CT scan, you have emphysema, a fatty liver and deformed kidney. The doctor would like to see you right away. Oh and you do have a small kidney stone as well, have a good day"

WTF are you freaking kidding me? This was on a friday afternoon. So I had to wait until monday to get in and see him, worrying all weekend that I was about to keel over dead.

He says, oh these are no big deal, this particular radiologist goes overboard. You do have some fat on your liver, which is not a rare thing now adays, you have a tiny spot on one of you lungs that might be the start of emphysema and could have been there for year, we will watch it but probably not a big deal, and yes your kidney is deformed, it was blocked up so they swell and once the stone passes it takes a few days to go back to normal.

Sigh... Doctors and staff.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.