So I've been debating whether to post on here for awhile

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had really severe anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have had illness anxiety disorder since I was probably around 8 or 9 years old. It's been a huge battle for me. I'm not really scared of developing one specific illness; it's far more generalized than that. I used to watch commercials on TV when I was younger and I would convince myself that I had every disease displayed in various drug advertisements. I also had a bad habit of reading the backs of medicines, cosmetics, and really anything I could ingest with a label. If whatever it was happened to be toxic I would be convinced I was going to die for days. This drove both of my parents absolutely crazy.

When I was in the fifth grade I developed fears of my house burning down, someone abducting me, lightning striking a tree that could fall through my roof, or dying in my sleep. For some, or all, of these reasons I had a really hard time sleeping. I would actually stay up for days at a time. I only felt comfortable sleeping when someone could monitor my environment and myself (I am still like this). I would also obsess about my grades, which ended up taking a toll on me. I actually had a teacher in elementary school ask me if my parents beat me when I got bad grades because of my constant concern. Anything less than an ‘A’ would bring me to the point of hyperventilating.

After years of having anxiety I began to develop a habit of what I like to call "checking out". I don't really like the feeling that my anxiety gives me so I just learned to shut down completely. My maladaptive coping mechanism lead to me completely "checking out" of school from seventh grade on. My habit only got significantly worse after a bad relationship in high school. I completely stopped socializing with others and I missed weeks of school at a time. I can now take online classes in college, which helps a lot thankfully. 

Since those few years that I spent locked away in my house I've gained a bit of weight. Although I now have a boyfriend and have gained a little more self-confidence I still have a problem going out in public. I feel like people are constantly whispering about me, how heavy I am, and how my clothes fit. I sometimes don't leave the house for days at a time, and even when I muster up the courage to leave I usually stay in the car. This is REALLY debilitating

I don't really know what my point of writing on here is... I guess I've just been feeling especially anxious lately. I have three big fears related to health: breast cancer, oral cancer, and the fear that my teeth are rotting out. It's frustrating especially with my oral health fears. People continue to tell me that my teeth are fine but I can't get the idea out of my head. I’ve become hesitant to eat harder foods (like carrots and apples) because I’m afraid my teeth will break. The health related fears are so severe now that I cannot watch TV shows related to health or hospitals (for example, House, Grey's, and Nurse Jackie). I sleep very little now and as I've said I don't really leave the house. I feel sick and have trouble eating a lot of the time. I sometimes get so upset about my grades or the possibility of illness that I get kind of "locked on" and keep repeating the same phrases (for example, "I'm just going to fail this class") over and over again. 

I know this may not be the point of this site, but I just kind of wanted to share what's going on with someone. I don't really know how much help can be given through this forum so I'm not really seeking anything. I just feel like no one really understands.. People just kind of brush me off sometimes but I really don't feel like it's just a minor problem. These thoughts affect my entire being at times to the point that it's difficult to function. Not a day goes by that I don't feel completely trapped inside myself, inside my head, and I just want to escape from it sometimes. I'm not suicidal or anything (I mean most of my fears seem to stem from not wanting to die) but I just wish the intrusive thoughts and feelings could stop. Maybe I just sound like I'm being a "baby" or exaggerating but that's my story. Sorry if I posted too much, as I’ve mentioned I'm not sure what is appropriate on here.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Of course your post IS fo this site....you really need to see a counselor and get the proper medication for your obsessions, anxiety and paranoia.....not in a bad way...I do see a dr. for all of this...and medication does help.  Its not going to go away by itself.

• Posted

you sound like the same symptoms as me which is paranoid  schizophrenia.  Maybe you should get a psychological assessment. your choice. I dont  want you to get worried by my comments. But think it over and have a chat with  someone first.

rich

• Posted

Do you mind me asking which of my symptoms lead you to that conclusion? I've just never considered myself to fall under the category of paranoid schizophrenia despite just being paranoid. 
  • Posted

doing any better?
    • Posted

I've just been trying to learn more about anxiety disorders and the possible treatments I'll be able to seek when I have the funds to see someone. I don't really think I'll be able to make any major improvements until I have the means to see a therapist though. Thank you for checking in!
    • Posted

Hi..so if you can't find a therapist...just come on daily and start a post about the problem of the day...people will help you.....continuing one post people will forget...I post daily almost on the alcoholism board....

​Keep posting...till you have funds smile

• Posted

Your school might offer counselling for free.

Can you find out?

• Posted

Okay, I wasn't really planning on writing out the whole story because it's a little long but here it goes...

I am going to a community college (essentially a community college anyways) until I get enough credits for my AA and I can transfer to the state university in my area. I live away from my parents with my boyfriend who is currently enrolled at the state university I plan on attending. Therefore, I'm not covered under any of the medical plans or anything through the school I live by because I'm not actually enrolled there yet.

The college I go to doesn't provide any kind of medical assistance. Most people who are enrolled at the college are still living from home so I guess it's not a problem that most people who attend run into.

I feel like people are assuming that I'm not seeking help because I think I don't need it or I don't feel like trying, which isn't the case. I know I need help and I want help but it's not as simple as that. I've tried contacting various people but it's just not possible right now with my current situation. I wish we had free health care in the states so I could just see someone whenever/where ever but that's just not the case. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that, it's a rally rough situation for sure. Let's try to find you some help for sure.

There are certain websites that offer one-on-one online therapy for a montly fee. It's not super expensive, but it costs a bit and it could help. 

Would online therapy be an option for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.