So I've finally admitted it

Posted , 7 users are following.

So here I am, no idea what to write so just going to come straight out with it. I have a drink problem and I can finally see it. My wife has warned me for years but never really paid much attention to it as I always thought you have to be drinking every day. When I do drink I can consume far too much, I have no control over my life when I do drink and worst of all I have had one night stands which luckily my wife has forgiven me for. This is not who I am when I sober but I do drink to forget, its either all or nothing. I'm former military and it's a common culture amongst serving members and ex serving. I been a civilian for just over 3 years now and I'm not going to lie it's been a struggle to go from military to civilian, not so much work wise but friends and more so a sense of belonging and purpose. I need to stop not only for the sake of my health but my son and wife. Always seems so obvious even when you know whats at stake but doing it is completely different ball game.

So yep thats me, nice to meet you all.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Welcome Daniel. You are like I was and refusing to let go and destroying your family life. Just wondering if you have children? May I Suggest you google C3Foundation Europe since Joanne has helped 700+ drinkers over the years. They will guide you towards medication and self help😁 best of luck Robin

• Posted

Hello Daniel and welcome to the group.  I have been a daily drinker for 40 years and thought I had no hope of getting it under control.  Since being on this forum I have gone from 2 bottles of wine a day to 2 units Monday to Saturday.  Sunday I still have a bottle in order to get some needed zzzzz's.  My hubs used to be the big big drinker (18 pints nightly) on his 3 nights out a week with mates, plus cans at home , so alcohol has always been around me.  (We also have a stocked bar which, for an alcoholic, is like being a kid in a sweet shop!!) 

He now is happy having a couple of glasses or non at all during the week.  I, on the other hand have struggled which I now think is hereditary. 

I tapered down slowly to avoid withdrawals which I have done well with. 

You have made the first move in admitting a problem and coming on here.  You will quickly find there is a wealth of knowledge from some incredible people on here, lots of whom have become friends; I think you will find the same.  Non-judgemental encouragement is what you will experience, but if needed a kick up the butt lol.

Best move you have made, now sit back and wait for the responses, they can be life changing.

Best wishes to you on your new journey forwards.

Gwen.

• Posted

Brilliant replyfromGwen and what an achievement After 40 years of drinking. Yes, we are here to assist you but not to mis judge you. Robin
  • Posted

I worked on military bases for a contractor for over 10 years (seems a lifetime ago)....but we watched live 'shock and awe' in Iraq and it has been downhill psychologically for all active duty military; even reservists who many are police officers and firefighters. Don't judge yourself too harshly...believe me, I'm a EXPERT when it comes to that!

I don't know if you want to go 'public' with your admission, if so, the VA has many programs to help you. I cannot go 'public' so I'm working with on-line counseling, reading these forums, watching youtube (on the TSM) and other videos DAILY---even if for only 10 minutes 2 x a day. I am following The Sinclair Method (TSM) and there are many resources (videos, articles, forums, etc.) on this method. You should watch (it's free on amazon prime), a documentary called ONE LITTLE PILL....I also think you will have success with this method but learn as much as you can about it from the C Three Foundation website. Naltrexone (USA) is a life saving medication used in TSM. Imagine "DRINK YOUR WAY SOBRIETY" !

It will take time, so don't give up or feel hopeless...have hope and stay true to the program, eventually it will help. I've been on TSM for only 1 month and am getting results. I wish I'd be like the others who have massive change in drinking immediately, but for me it's not that fast. But better something than nothing, right? You are blessed to have such an incredible wife and children; I have neither (not related to drinking). Blessed Easter...and maybe today is the beginning of your new life.

• Posted

Knowing that you have a problem and having a supportive family means that you are very close to recovery.

It may not feel like it right now but you are almost there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.