So is Tramadol addictive? yes/no

Posted , 9 users are following.

Lets have your views.  Considering there seems to be a divide among the medical intellectuals regarding this drug..

1 like, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes Tramadol is very . I was prescribed this stong pain killer 20 months ago following a knee replacement. Although they drug does nothing for the pain any longer I  find I have to take it just to be able to function. If I don't take it I am irritable, very tired and exremely bad tempered. I have tried several times to ween myself off it but it is near impossible so find I HAVE to take it just to get through the day.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Barnyboy we know the addictive properties off this drug in the end like you, the meds were hardly touching the pain . Yet I still had to continue taking them due to the withdrawal symptoms if I did not take them...jx

• Posted

If I had been told about the problems this drug leads to I would never have taken it to start with but what do we do? What are the long term affects of this drug, does anyone really know the answer. I'm doomed if I do and doomed if I don't, even my GP is of no help. Maybe I will try agin to come of it very very slowy and see what happens but if it is not harig e then do I really need to stop taking it as it makes me feel great
    • Posted

If it makes you feel great and you find your not having to increase the dosage to to get the same benefit then I would,nt be too worried about it..It was the continual increase that made this drug a problem for me starting at 8 trams a day ending taking anywhere between 20-30 just to get some relief...jx
  • Posted

If anyone wants the reduction plan that I was put on, I will happily share in a private message. I will add its no quick reduction but on the plus side you do not get withdrawals...Before anyone decides to come off these drugs tell your G.P and work out what pain relief is available to you after you have stopped the trams..I wish for all of you fighting against this dreadful drug every success in reduction and onto abstinence. GOOD LUCK jx
  • Posted

Yes, extremely addictive with very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
  • Posted

After taking Tramadol for several years and trying without success to wean off slowly I decided to take the rough road and go "cold turkey" I am now on day 8 of being meds free. Not easy by any means but justing knowing that I have got this far has made me feel better in my self. I have been very tired and aggitated but seem to be getting better day by day. I am going on holiday at the end of this week for 10 days so hopefully that will help leaving the stress at home and hoping it will not return once I get home. It is a very long and dangerous road being on Tramadol and I would advise any one who is prescribe it to flush it down the loo and speak to your GP about an alternative pain killer as Traadol can be a killer in it's own sense, it can wreck your life, it did me for years but I hope I have overcome this addiction now.
    • Posted

Although Tramadol is bad, most of the meds prescribed for extreme pain are addictive. Most are classed as opiates. Unfortunately there is nothing else on the market that can touch the pain.  There was an independent (nothing to do with drug companies, doctors etc) documentary on tv regarding morphine, how it was discovered, what it does etc and the outcome was there was nothing manufactured to date that comes even close. So it's all very well to say don't take them, but when you are in agony the last thing on your mind is "yikes, they are addictive".  Some drugs cause worse side effects than others, you need to tell your doctor instead of suffering in silence.  Sometimes it is trial and error. Doctors are more than happy to help you find one that is more tolerant on your system, rather this than be down right miserable and in pain, which will also affect how you heal. The main thing in NOT to be a martyr to ones pain
    • Posted

Good for you Barnyboy you have got this far on your own which that in itself is incredible...there is no way that I could have done it your way..I don,t know what your daily max was but mine was anywhere between 20-25-30 trams a day. I look back now and think Holy Sxxx. This drug is very effective but personally I think it should only be used far a maximum of 7 days. In those 7 days lets hope our G.Ps have a lightswitch turn on in their heads...My recovery worker has more knowledge about the drug than my Doc. I know they are only G.Ps jack of all trades masters of none. You look out for you Barnyboy and double triple check everything that is being told to you...Well done jx
    • Posted

Thanks Jayne.Having been ill from the effects of Tramadol (up to 600mg a day at one point) I had to take action myself as I was not getting any support from any medical proffesionals. i am a 58 year young woman and found my life slipping by with nothing to look forward to. Now however I feel so much better. Today I got up at 7am showered dressed and took my dog for a 3 hour walk over Hampstead Heath a first time feeling able to do it without a struggle. I feel quite proud of myself and think if I can do it it is worth anyone wanting to get off this dreadful drug to try, try and try again, it's hard but well worth the efforts.

Best wishes

Annie

• Posted

Believe me I had be in absolue agony for a long time before starting Tramadol. Not only do I have MS I also have Ostioarthurites, colapsed discs in my spine and had undergone a full knee replacement that I later found out had been put in wrong. even with all the pain i am still in I would NEVER EVER take Tramadol again. Doctor need to warn people of the dreadful side affects of this drug before issuing it willy nilly. If I'm classed as a martyr then thats fine with me, I'd rather be a martyr an drug addict which is what i had become but not any longer.
    • Posted

Hi Barnyboy one thing I know for sure is, you are no martyr. sueisobel is one of the lucky few that have control over their pain because they have amazing Doctors a fantastic pain management team and all in all have found a combo that suits...To infer that you are a martyr to your pain is insulting...Like you I was addicted, and like you not anymore. You are a fighter not a Martyr the docs just dish out drugs cos they don,t know what else to do..give em a drug and they will be on their way...Take care jx
    • Posted

Sweetie, I am not being insulting to you. I am not being mean. I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I am NOT promoting Tramadol, as you say, it is a nasty drug.  I have been on it and came off for that very reason. By trial and error (and they really been trials; some had me drooling like a baby, some suicidal, some where I din't know if I was arthur or martha). I don't like the drugs I'm on at the moment, because I work and drive and try to live a "normal" life I have chosen not to take enough to kill the pain, but enough to enable me to get on.

Being a martyr means you are letting pain rule your life, instead of the other way round. You are getting on with your life, so how can you be a martyr???  I hope that I have clarified my earlier comments.  We are not on this site to bandy insults, to deningrate others. We are all in this boat together. All I am saying is there are other drugs out there, you don't have to stay on them for life, There are also alternative treatments, which do not involve taking pills, that work.  Some more than others have a direct way of saying things, but there is never any insult intended.  Again, I apologise if you thought I was being offensive

• Posted

No need to say sorry, I didn't take what you said as in insult I'm a better person than that. I personally would never call myself a martyr I'm just a fighter, fighting a fight I intend to win.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.