So Ive been to my endo

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just came back from my endo and she checked me out. She did some physical exam and even breast exam and indeed I have hyperthyroidism,but its not bad or anything. She was very concerned about my sleeping habbits and she gave me Melatonin and she told me to go visit a psychiatrist about my sleep. the thing is,I really dont want to see a psychiatrist. I dont want him to tell me that I have a mental ilness like schizofrenia and I just dont want to feel mentally ill. Obviously,I  have to go. But what if he tells me that Im actually insane? Im very scared. My endo gave me other plant base pills for my hormones,including my thyroid. Its just..Im very scared of being mentally ill. Has anyone went through this? Should I worry this much?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to be more definitive of the hyperthyroidism you have.  What is the reason you are hyperthyroid?  Do you have an autoimmune disease like Graves or Hashimoto’s or just thyroid nodules?  It makes a difference.  What are your latest thyroid lab values including the range for normal beside your values?  You have have a high level of anxiety if you are an untreated hyperthyroid.  I personally do not like psychiatrists or the way they work and prefer to see other mental health professionals but it is an individual thing.  I think doing the first things I mentioned might make you feel more empowered.
    • Posted

I really dont know what kind of hyperthyroidism I have. The reason is not clear. She said that maybe I stressed too much about things. All I know is that my FT4 levels are higher that normal and they keep telling me I have the neck thing,even tho I cant see that
  • Posted

Hi Andreea!

Sleep deprivation drives you for hallucinations. Also it increases your anxiety. Make you feel likeyou are getting crazy. Do not worry to much about it. Try to fix your thyroid hormones and your insomnia and for sure you will feel better. If your endo asked you to go to a psychiatric do it so but try to calm down until your appointment.

8 yeas ago was through a divorce and I had sleeping deprivation for one month. I lost weight, I had difficulty of concentration, I had hallucinations and I was feeling very frustrating and angry. I was resistant about going to a psychiatric because I knew he was going to prescribe me sleeping pills. I as afraid to get addicted in this kind of pills. When I get in my psychiatric appointment he was very nice to me and he told me I was not going to get addicted in sleeping pills. I got sleeping pills for 6 months and then we reduced it until I was completely healed. It worked very nice to me and helped me that time.

Try to choose a good doctor and he will take care of you. I don't think you are schizophrenic or have any mental illness. Listen to your doctor and soon you will fell good.

• Posted

My endo prescribed me melatonin and I must say that the first night I took it I slept a bit better,and last night I slept better than the other one. I think its effective. The only struggle I have si depersonalization/derealization which I think its caused by me not sleeping. I feel unreal and crazy. But at least I kind of know why. Thank you so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.