So many achilles questions!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello! My name is Amanda and I'm about 8 months into my recovery from a total achilles explosion as I like to call it. A little history, I've been an athlete for the last 25 years of my 30 years on earth, from rec sports to playing on three varsity teams at the collegiate level. So I've done a tremendous amount of physical activity. Of all the things I have broke, pulled, or damaged on my body, I never had even the slightest bit of pain in my achilles. Then this summer playing rec softball, I was running to first base and halfway there it exploded on me. I laid in the hospital for 5 days before I was finally sewn back together. I am now as I mentioned roughly 8 months later, and am curious about the amount of pain I still feel, as well as the amount of obvious scar tissue that I can still feel in there. I spent time every single day since I was released from my cast prison massaging and manually trying to break up the scar tissue myself, but still feel like there is SO MUCH in there. Does anyone know if this is normal? I am also just now able to almost complete a one legged calf raise, which I'm not sure if I should have been able to do that months ago. Its such a strange injury but definitely one of my most traumatic. Any help, advice, or similar stories shared would be appreciated!

Cheers

1 like, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 51 and ruptured my achilles in March 2014, playing badminton. I was treated by the non-surgical route, having worn a boot and finished physio in December 2014. It is now 16 months since the injury and I still have twinges around the achilles area and tenderness and aches in my calf. It doesn't stop me doing much but I don't play active sport now. Is this normal?
  • Posted

Just saw your story. I tore my right achillies in 2016. Started as two partial tears that drs only diagnosed as 1, more proximal, after initially saying it was a partial calf tear. Surgery in August and started 5 months of PT in October. As of today, I can barely get my right heel off the floor when I single leg heel raise. Still hurts/aches a 3/4 out of 10 daily.  I'm a total gym rat, and very active albeit no sports and have yet to play a round of golf since surgery but am resigned to the fact this is as good as it gets as my test was both very bad and not a fresh one when repaired. Hope this helps, best of luck, Jason

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.