so many posts slating Mirtazapine!

Posted , 11 users are following.

There's so many posts complaining about the side effects of Mirtzapine isit actually worth taking? I've just been subscribed it but what's the point if it makes you feel worse

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I think it's an entirely personal thing and everyone reacts different. I've been taking 30mg for 5 weeks now and haven't noticed any adverse side effects. I've not been extra sleepy, moody or anything. I do sometimes feel I am always hungry but I can live with that. So far I have been quiet happy with how I've been on this. Can't say it has fixed the source of all problems but it has taken the edge off. You won't know how it makes you until you try it. I always find people that come on forums are more likely to be those with problems etc, if you feel it isn't working you want to ask why. I find the same with any forum that I've been part of. We are always more likely to speak out when we have had bad service but if it's good or as we expect we aren't as vocal, could be it's the same here. I'd give them a go and see how you get on.
  • Posted

The only way you'll know is if you try it. Personally, it was the hunger for me and a bit of light headed feeling. I've compared it to other meds and I've found the list of side effects is quite a bit shorter than many others! My advice, if you find you are feeling awful in the morning you may want to see your doctor about a lower dose. I was on 30mg for about 2 1/2 months and was waking up feeling like I was hit by a truck! My doctor explained to me that as you go into higher doses of Mirt it has less sedating effect and some people (like myself) were sleeping but the higher does was not allowing me to get into the really deep sleep we need to feel rested.
  • Posted

I was also told that the higher the dose the less sleep you get. im on 15mg and my mood,anxiety and panic are so much better and ive only been on it 6 weeks come tuesday. ido have an increase in appetite but I

control it and my weight has stayed the same. I agree everyone is different but all you can do is try them an

see how they effect you. remember you can always come off them if they don't work for you.

all the best ella x

• Posted

I'm just entering my 4th week with Mir. I started on 15mg for 4 days then went up to 30mg. Both amounts make me sleep well and give me an appetite. The higher makes me more drowsy in the mornings but I'm getting used to it or it's getting less. Not sure which yet! I'm suffering from a deep depression and tried other tabs such as Lexapro but could not take the anxiety side effects, even when supported by Xanox or Clonotril. Remeron has helped many people and is supposed to help quite quickly, it's supposed to help in the 4 th week so I'm here with my fingers crossed waiting! But sleeping and eating has been a great help, just need the depression and anxiety sorted now. I had a choice of Xanox or Clonotril to help with the anxiety, after trying both I stayed with Clonotril as the Xanox was too sedating for me. But I do notice even after 4 weeks I'm becoming dependant on the Clonotril. My P Doc told me for antidepressants to work the anxiety needs to be kept at bay by sedatives, then the med can do its job. He also told me all antidepressants can work it's just finding one you can live with! The side effects of Mir are minimal compared to others I have tried, I just need it to work on my depression now! Give it a go, it's supposed to be one of the best. Take care there.
  • Posted

hi, I agree with you Norman. Give it a go and if it dosent help then see your doc or your p doc who will take you off them. They seem to be doing me good so I will try them for a little longer and the side effects for me are minimal.

All the best ella

• Posted

When I took the 15 mg I couldn't stopped eating! Now I am on 30 mg and I can honestly say I don't seem to have any of the side effects. Even when I did have the constant hunger I really felt it was a small price to pay to feel happy again after all once you are back to normal you can tackle the weight problem. with Weight Watchers. I feel a lot better today after just 2 weeks but all the medical people and people in this forum say it takes at least 4 - 6 weeks to kick in. Good luck to everyone just starting this drug.
  • Posted

hi patricia and everyone else,

the hunger got me but being bulimic in the past I didn't give in to the hunger and I still only ate 3 main meals a day with two snacks, my weight has stayed the same. I have been on them six weeks nearly and I am

now having no side effects, the hunger is not there but my my mood and depression is so much better, I

now talk to my family daily where as before I wouldn't talk or would want to be left alone .My sleep is also

better, not great but so much better .than it was. I agree the small side effects are a small price to pay for

the feeling of happiness and less anxiety.

God Luck to you all

Ella

• Posted

Hi all,

I've been taking them now for 2 days and just feel extremely tired & lethargic, I'm thinking about coming off them I only have very mild depression I can still eat, play sports and social with friends.

Fair enough I've lost a bit of weight and my sleeps not the best but I have no idea what these tablets are going to do to me I just feel spaced out. I feel that anti-depressants are not the way for me and they aren't addressing the route problem there just making me feel zombie like.

I did have a few chronic headaches a couple of days ago but I think that was down to the antibiotics I was taken, I just feel like I'm drugging myself for the sake of it.

• Posted

I, too, have mild depression. I was prescribed 15 mg. per day. but it made me very sleepy. The MD told me to cut the tablet in half and now I'm on 7.5 mg. The sleepiness is still there but to a lesser degree. Give it a chance but don't stop it cold turkey. The withdrawal symptoms can be bad. If you must stop it do it very gradually over several days. Just wean yourself off. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Vicky,

Your probably in the same position as me then. My anxiety started out due to a health scare that was nothing really in the end but now I have these thoughts about life & death or my health and very analytical thoughts about humans and we no more merely than mammals.

a few months into my anxiety or depression I had excess stomach acid and found out I had h pylori which ive taken the antibiotics for but they gave me extreme headaches! anyway my main symptom now is I just worry that everything I've gone through I've just gone completely crazy and nothing comes naturally anymore but I can still do alot of things i.e. get out of bed, gym etc

I'm just abit worried about anti-depressants because are they really the solution to the problem, I dont think so!

• Posted

Hi paul

I agree with what 'Doglover83' has said, you will find that the majority of people make posts when they have concerns or problems that they need advice with. It is unlikely that someone is going to make a post to say that everything is going well.

Only you can know if you think antidepressants will help you and if you think you need them. Maybe if you think you can cope without them, try other treatments instead first such as counselling and self-help stuff, I do think that some GP's can sometimes be too quick to offer medication. If you still find yourself struggling or things become worse you can always go back to your GP again then and say you think you want to give antidepressants a try.

• Posted

I tried a few different antidepressents and in varying dosages before finally getting Mirtazapine. I started on 15mg then 30 and am now on a daily dosage of 45mg every night, I have been on this level for about 3 months and I haven't had any negative side effects worth mentioning, plus I enjoy a drink of wine when I feel like it -again without suffering negatively. That said I always try to get plenty of sleep and do not set the alarm but wake up naturally!

They work for me. I think more people want to share negative experiences than positive, maybe they want to warn people. As has been said before try them and see how you get on.

• Posted

I agree with Kitty. Each person is different but give it a try. I have a dear friend who takes 30mg mirtazapine daily. She said it has saved her life. She's been on it for 3 years. From being a "basket case" she is now a happy well adjusted person. My only complaint about mirtazapine is that it makes me sleepy which is

why the MD cut the dosage to 7.5 mg. taken at night. My depression is mild - mostly sadness.

• Posted

Hi kitty and vicky, as you have both had experience of different doses of mirtazapine i wonder if i may ask you some questions, sorry to go off topic from the original post.

I am taking 30mg mirtazapine, have done for about to months now, and have been on the same dose the whole time. I discuss monthly how things are going with a cmht nurse, the only issue really i have been.having with mirtazapine is feeling very tired during the day. She has suggested that it might be helpful to lower my dose to reduce the tiredness but then i worry that the dose won't be high enough to keep away the depression and anxiety. It was great at first being able to sleep so much after not sleeping for such a long time, my gp said the tiredness should go as i get used to the mirtazapine but after 8 weeks i'm still sleeping around 12 houra almost every night. I don't know whether to talk to my gp about reducing my dose, encase it's not enough to keep my mood up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.