So many symptoms, no idea what’s going on! Brain MRI, ECG’s, blood tests - Am I losing my mind?

Posted , 1 user is following.

imageHi there,

I wonder if anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation to me.

I started getting dull headaches at the start of the year - not painful, they don't require paracetamol, just i'm aware they're there. Usually on the right side of the brain.

A few weeks later, I noticed how light headed and shakey I was becoming too, even standing up from wiping the floor would feel like a rush, turning around once would make me feel dizzy. I was also beginning to get sort of a pins & needles sensation down my right forearm/hand and feet. Again, not painful, more just tingles I guess and I was starting to feel just not quite right. I was/still am so tired all the time. I've always been such a proactive, restless person - I give everything 110% and rarely 'relax' but the last sort of 4-6 weeks I have no energy, am taking naps (which is so out of the ordinary for me) and feel like everything is a mission.

I rang the GP as I've had low iron before and assumed it was the same. They did routine bloods, Doctor confirmed iron was low but my platelets were high, so they wanted to repeat the test to see if it was a one off. She said she wasn't sure if the symptoms were all iron related, so sent me to A&E for a CT scan of the brain. I believe she was checking for a stroke/blood clot.

The first doctor was quite dismissive, didn't understand why the GP had sent me, didn't think I needed a CT but she did get one arranged. The CT showed something on the right side at the front of the brain measuring 11mm, they believed benign and probably incidental but would ask another doctor's option - that doctor asked for an MRI. An MRI was done (not with contrast) & same thing in same place showing. It kind of stopped there. I'd been at A&E 10 hours and had to discharge due to childcare - I said i'd follow up with GP.

I then had a letter asking for another MRI but with contrast which is booked for 2 weeks time. I have since seen the GP who's done an ECG (not sure of outcome yet) & is checking my urine for protein. The last the GP said (the second MRI wasn't booked when I went to see her) was she would write to neurology about autoimmune conditions. The nurse couldn't do the repeat bloods to check the platelets that day as no blood was coming, so they're rebooked.

I just feel a bit in limbo. I don't really know what they're checking or why and I feel no better, I feel more tired/shakey/out of sorts/etc. I'm not worried that the scan showed something sinister as I don't believe they'd let me leave A&E if it did and also they said whatever was showing was benign.

I've also started getting small bruises but don't seem to have hurt myself. The bruises don't hurt and guessing maybe I just knocked myself but didn't realise?

Just wondering if anyone's had a similar experience or symptoms? I appreciate how thorough they are being but also feel like nothing is necessarily correlating.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.