So many symptoms! The lastest one is thinning hair....

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, Ladies,

It's been a couple months since I've posted to the site, but I faithfully read nearly every post from all these brave ladies.  I saw my doctor a few times over the last several months and after many tests she confirmed that I was in peri due to my symptoms and extremely low hormone levels, especially my estrogen.  I have been in peri for about 5 years per the multitude of symptoms I've experienced.  My dr. advised I was anemic and so I recently finished a course of iron infusions, I was also put on adrenal supplements, vitamin D, magnesium and iron when I have a bleed.  I was also prescribed BHRT, but have had reservations about beginning for fear I might feel worse.  I've had nearly every every symptom on the list and they have all been extremely frustrating.  My latest symptom that has been stressing me is hair loss.

My whole life (I just turned 47) I have had very thick, long dark hair.  Over the last few months I have noticed extreme hair shedding.  My hair seems to be lying about everywhere and when I wash it I can literally pull small clumps of long strands as I wash and rinse it.  There's always a a lot of hair in the bottom of the shower and when I comb thru it, it still comes out in alarming (or what feels like alarming) rates.  I know this symptom may seem trite in relationship to so many of the other horrible symptoms, but I just feel freaked out about it.  It is really heightening my already long present anxiety.  I have had my thyroid checked twice over the last few months, results did not warrant prescription thyroid meds at this time.  My question is: are you ladies experiencing this symptom, what are you doing about it, does it slow up and if so, when?  How did you deal with it overall?  I very much appreciate your input.  Thank you.  

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

?I sympathise so much, my hair and eye brows are awful...I won't bore you with it, I am sure you all know what it's like..zero confidence..

?I think, and my gut feeling is the amount of supplements you have been taking...iron can affect the thyroid..adrenal supplements can drive the thyroid over board...so it's not a case of too little hormone but too much...hyperthyroidism springs to mind...plus you are taking magnesium...and vitamin d....its all too much at once...I say stop the lot and see what happens ...I'll bet that within a week or 2 the hair shedding lessens...

?honestly.. I know I have done this...every supplement I could think off..tipped my thyroid over board...

?Vitamin D supplements will affect the thyroid...so much does.. please re think all of this... I think it's all been too much, and you were wise to hold back on the BHRT..

?I can't take vitamin d supplements......my hair starts to fall out....

?Please take care with all of these things...a doctor should not give you so many things all at once...

?...based on personal experience and research...

Take care

• Posted

Dear Highlands,

I'm very sorry you are dealing with this, too.  Thank you for your feedback and insight.  Yes, I agree that taking too many supplememts can definitely have an adverse affect on your health.  It really didn't occur to me that all these supplements could be contributing to my problem, but that is entirely possible.  I've been trying to closely follow the regimen my doctor has set up for me, but in all honesty my hair started thinning when I began taking all of these supplements during the last few months.  Perhaps I need to back off of them and see what happens.  I am going to give this a try for a short time and see what results. Thank you very much for your reply.  Hugs and wishes for your good health--Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah!

?Please don't despair with all of this.  I can't tolerate most things even certain herbal teas can cause problems for me now.  I think I put my thyroid through hell and probably damaged it, though blood tests can't confirm this and scans show nothing abnormal..

What I find helps at present is just back to basics with a really healthy diet, (I am that you do all of this and don't need me to tell you), 

?I think just taking things back a level can help, for me it's just listening to a radio program and relaxing...things I never used to do..pausing for breath...I think can all help, especially at this stage in life.

?Please cut back on the supplements... it will help in the long run, you will start to feel well again.

The hair loss will stop...so don't worry!

?Maybe then you can re-evaluate and consider HRT?  

?Look after yourself and a hug to you too!

• Posted

Highlands,

Thank you for the the excellent advice and support.  I very much appreciate it!

X--Sarah

• Posted

The hair loss could be from anemia and low estrogen. I have have both and adding iron and estrogen helped to bring it back. I also had to go on lexapro for depression and weaned off and now getting back on.  I started peri with symptoms of health anxiety and anxiety attacks then depression. It has been a rollercoaster.! I see a big correlation between perimenopause and health anxiety. Crazy what hormones do to our mental state. If I were you, I would certainly start estrogen patches as you are basically replacing what you are low in and there are so many wonderful benefits to it. The patch is better because it doesn’t go through the liver like pills.  It may take away your anxieties and bring back your hair.  Hugs and prayers to all of us going through this time. 
    • Posted

Hi, Erin,

Thank you so much fo your reply and support.  I was anemic and my esteogen was basically non-existent.  I have a BHRT prescription.  Oral progesterone and a compounded biest/estridiol/testosterone cream.  I've been hesitant to start because I was concerned about how I might feel taking hormones.  Although my doctor says I'm low risk, I'm also concerned about certain types of cancer that may come about from hormone use.  My mother had stage 3 ovarian cancer 8 years ago at age 61.  Thank goodness she is currently in remission.  So I have fear of using BHRT.  I am still weighing the risks against the benefits.  

Thank you so much for your reply and support.  I really appreciate it.  I wish you the best of health! Hugs--Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah , Just to let you know that losing your hair is not the end of the world. I've lost mine completely a number of times and accepted it as part of my medical problems. I bought a number of wigs which these days look totally natural. I am suffering really badly with menopausal side effects that I just dont know where to turn or what to do I cant function normally. I am constantly anxious and flushing and all my primary senses have been severely altered. Dr has just prescribed anti-depressants and I dont know if it is safe to take them or not but I feel so unwell that surely I couldnt feel any worse?

• Posted

Hi, Tina,

Thank you for the taking the time to reply.  I'm sorry you are having to go through this.  I definitely understand about the anxiety. I've had anxiety since my youth and have struggled with it getting worse as the perimenopause has progressed.  Years ago I was prescribed a few different anti-anxiety medications, but found I always felt worse when I took them.  However, you may find that you feel much better taking an antidepressant.  Everyone responds to antidepressants differently.  I have been trying to get through this naturally, but it's been difficult.  I just try to take it one day at a time.

I wish you all the very best!  Please keep me posted on how you're doing. Take care of you and I know this will pass for all of us!  Big hugs-- Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.