So much pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I had a lumbar decompression surgery in 2016, I was feeling pretty good for awhile. 

Now, I'm back to the pain, numbness, tingling, sciatica. "Heavy feeling" in my legs, most of the time. 

Saw my surgeon today, he said no surgery would help me. And said he could only manage my pain, with injections.

I have severe DDD at levels l5/s1, disc protrusion at the same level. 

I can't live like this. I can hardly work anymore, and the couch has become my new best friend. Sitting hurts, walking hurts.

I'm miserable!! I'm 45 yrs old, but sure feel a lot older these days. 

😞😞😞

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a pain management doctor? If not, start looking for one. I'm surprised your surgeon didnt recommend one. I have had many injections and none of them helped me, i had a trial for a nerve simulator, and will be getting my perm.  one at the end of this month. I am the same age as you so i understand how depressing it can be, the stim has given me hope i didnt think was possible.A good pain management doc can do injections also, along with prescribing meds, and even put in the nerve stims. I know when i started my journey with pain management i was tired of sitting on the couch and not being able to do the things i loved to do. It will get better you just have to find the right doc who understands your pain and doesnt always want to inject you with something, it is a hard road in the beginning but will get better.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. 

Yes, I have been referred to a pain management Doctor, but the wait is kinda long. 

In the mean time, My neurosurgeon will be giving me a lumbar injection. 

I've had them before, twice, before my lumbar decompression surgery. I hope it helps this time, since he's saying surgery wont help me.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

• Posted

I have an appt for an injection on June 7th. I got a second opinion, that doc said, I have nerve damage in my left leg, he is referring me to a neurologist. He also said, after my injection, he wants to discuss surgery, again. 

Since I saw him a couple weeks ago, I've started having numbness and tingling in the "saddle area". Not all the time, just once in awhile. Should I be worried, since it only happens once in awhile?? It doesn't last long, but it freaks me out. 

• Posted

No that is not good and I am glad you are seeing a neurologist.  You are having evolving neurological symptoms that are worsening.  I am afraid that something serious is going on.  Getting numbness in the saddle area is really cause for some concern, if it gets any worse, I would get in to see someone right away, and not the dummy who said he can't do anything but injections.  I think you need an MRI right now.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Yes, if it gets worse, I will go see a doctor. Right now, it's only getting that like a couple times a day. Still freaks me out tho. 

I will keep you posted. 

Thanks!!

• Posted

I had my second opinion! He sent me for a new MRI and X-ray. 

They both showed grade 1 Anterolisthesis, (l5 S1), several disk protrusions, broad based disk bulge, severe DDD in extreme lower lumbar.

I'm having extreme pain and tingling in my right leg, and extreme pain in my back.

Just had an injection in L5-S1, and a nerve block for the leg pain. It's only been 3 days, but no relief yet.

I just need relief from this pain! It's affecting my daily life. My work is almost impossible (I'm a high end housekeeper), by the end of the day, I can barely move. 

Been fighting this pain for years!!

😞😞😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.