So much pain in my tooth, eye & head?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, for about 2/3 weeks now I have had serious tooth ache which is only getting worse, however it's not only in my tooth... it's my whole left side of my face such as my top two back teeth, left cheek, left eye & head ache but again only on the left side. I don't know whether this is a doctors or dentist trip. I'm so tired all the time & unsure whether this is part of it. I know I should see a professional but working 50hours a week and a single mum to a 6 year old I struggle fitting appointments in. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you have toothache for more than 2/3 weeks, visit your dentist as soon as possible to have it treated. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get.

If your toothache isn't treated, the pulp inside your tooth will eventually become infected. This can usually lead to a dental abscess, with severe and continuous throbbing pain.

Painkillers, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen, may reduce the pain and discomfort while you're waiting for an appointment. Children under 16 years of age shouldn't be given aspirin.

You can also try numbing the pain using an over-the-counter dental gel containing local anaesthetic, although this isn't suitable for children under 12.

• Posted

Gemma, You're describing the symptoms I had during a bad attack of sinusitis. Mine presented initially as toothache, then moved to my face, eye and ear on that side.

There's no way round this. You really need to see a doctor or a dentist asap, as if this does turn out to be sinusitis you'll need antibiotics. Failure to deal with this could lead to dangerous complications.

The source of the infection could turn out to be in the affected tooth or in your maxillary sinus itself. However, until the infection is brought under control it's going to be hard to work out where it started. Sinusitis can cause severe toothache but an untreated dental abscess can cause problems in the sinuses on that side of the face.

Since you're using the word "mum" rather than "mom" I deduce that you might be in the UK. If this is the case, you could go to a walk-in centre or even A&E if necessary. However, I know you'll have a very long wait if you go to the latter.

Whichever option you choose, please get yourself to a doctor or dentist asap, before this flares up into something more serious.

• Posted

Gemma you need to get this checked out.

You cannot neglect your health.

You have to make time for yourself. Surely your employer wouldn't want you to suffer?

You will get ill if you don't go and get this sorted.

I have had similar experiences myself.

I was under a lot of pressure with depression of losing my sister recently she was young battled diabetes for forty years!

I was knocked for six!

My mouth was on fire my nerves went into spasm around my head teethand right side of my face! I thought my teeth were playing up. But it wasn't. But my dentist told me to exercise my jaw. Until my nerves In my gums had settled back down. She told me to put my tongue up to back of my thirst and clench down on my teeth doing it in the mornings for ten minutes with a hot water bottle or something warm against your head. And I went to eye hospital because my left pupil became bigger than my right!

That's called anisacoria. It does go back to same size after a few weeks. But my doctor has referred me to neurology dept to get the nerves in my body checked aswell.

So I'm telling you all this because I know what you might be suffering with.

Dentist first port of call, then your doctor

Go don't delay it any longer. You don't know what is going on inside your body. You have to be well for your family too.

All the best

Liz😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.