So much pain with pmr looking for tips

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with pmr 1 year ago have dropped my steroids to 5mg over the year but pain and stiffness is hell doc tells me to just keep taking pain killers dont work any longer just looking for any tips I'm 60 years old and work full time as a carer and finding it harder every day so down

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi just want you to know that I know how you are feeing lwas on preds for ten months after for polymalgia after tapering slowly been of them six and am feeling awful aches and pain hot flashes like you pain killers not doing much just.wanted you to know I know how you are feeing

• Posted

Most members have gone to the Healthunlocked PMRGCA site where you will get more response. PMR dosage is usually 15 to 25 mgs and average length of time is 6 years. Very few go into remission after 2 years. You are likely having a flare. Also, long term pred causes your adrenal glands to cease producing cortisol, and your body is reacting to that. You may have to go to the original dosage to clear out the inflammation that has accumulated and then gradually reduce the pred to where you last felt comfortable.

• Posted

You need another doctor or for this one to see the light. There's no point taking too little pred. Then you get no benefits only whatever downsides there still are by being on a low dose.

• Posted

It amazes me the number of doctors that think other painkillers will solve the problem of PMR. In fact pred is the only thing that will help. If you have pain you should go back to the dose where you were OK and then make sure you are perfectly OK before you start reducing again. Life is too short to be in pain all the time when you have a wonder drug like steroids to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.