So my surgery is Wednesday and I'm nervous

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm scheduled for a laparoscopy with possible ovary removal for a 6cm complex cyst that may have grown since my last ultrasound. I also have a 3cm cyst on the other side that isn't complex and is actually the painful one.

I did have a post on here months ago that some of you might remember. I think people thought I wasn't going to seriously pursue medical attention because I didn't want some of the invasive vaginal procedures but as I promised then I did take the situation very seriously and my doctor turned out to be completely ok with skipping the internal exams as long as he was able to assess the situation otherwise which thankfully he was.

I am only 33 so the cancer risk is relatively low but having never been put under I'm a little nervous about the regular routine parts of the procedure like anesthesia and catheters and the possibility of an epidural. Also a few days ago I developed a cold or a sinus issue that I'm being treated for and it scares me a bit that despite the severity of this illness they seem certain I'll be well enough by Wednesday morning for a surgery.

Anyway I had to come back here in hopes that you guys can alleviate some of my anxiety. Any advice?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Nice to see your Dr. is taking care of things before they require major surgery. Laparoscopy has much smaller incisions and is quicker to heal. Also much less debilitating so assuming you recover quickly from colds you should be fine. Each person is different but I find anesthesia the best sleep ever! I am a very light sleeper and I find anesthesia very restorative. I feel great even after surgery until I fully wake and the incision reminds me I had surgery.

Just be sure you understand fully what the odds of ovary removal is. Be sure your Dr. fully understands your wishes and all efforts to preserve will be made. Once it's gone it's gone. Now is the time to be clear and concise. It's your body and your life. Do not be shy or afraid to ask questions. Just be respectful but firm until you are comfortable with the answers. My surgeon came to me before anesthesia to answer any last questions and stayed till I was satisfied. Then the Anesthesiologist took over and it was all done in less than an hour. Quickly and perfectly.

The catheter was not that bad. More inconvenient than anything but necessary. They put mine in after I was out and removal was unpleasant but not painful. Epidural is local and takes longer to wear off sometimes but not bad. I doubt you'll have both and the doctor should tell you which you will have.

You're under alot of stress, hence the cold. Once this is done you can get your health and life back on track! Good luck with your surgery! Let us know your results.

• Posted

I've read a lot of the threads here and no one mentioned having an epidural so that's why it worries me. I feel uninformed about it.

I'm glad to hear the catheter is not that bad.

I have to be honest about my ovaries. I don't want to lose them but if he gets in there and believes he needs to remove one or even both and he is confident that leaving it will require a later surgery I'd rather just get it all done at once.

• Posted

Only had one epidural decades ago. Injection hurt like an injection does. Everything went numb for hours, except my toes which they'd never seen before. Now they are managed better and everything goes numb but not as long. I would ask your Dr. which he will use. I suspect if he expects simple cyst removal he'll use epideral. If greater chance of more involved he'll knock you out. Either way just ask and ask whatever your concerns are. Drs. do this everyday but you haven't done this before. They don't know your concerns unless you ask. I do know you likely won't feel anything but will be awake during the procedure. Relax, ask questions and let him/her know your tolerance level.

• Posted

I'm having a laparoscopy on Thursday, I only found out Friday so hasn't sunk in yet. I'm 30 and they are removing an 8cm cyst. I had the same operation before 8 years ago however they only drained the cyst and I've since been told they should have removed it as I wouldn't be having these issues now.

You will be fine please don't worry too much, my doctor gave me the statistics of ovary removal and it was something like 1in500 (I haven't got the paperwork with the notes on to be more accurate) they have to tell you the worst case scenario's.

My right cyst also had a polycystic tendency and I was told if I had to have my left removed getting pregnant wouldn't be a problem and he was confident about this.

I hope that some of this puts you at ease, I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous but know it's for the best.

I'm here for any support x

• Posted

Thank you so much. When you had your surgery before did they give you an epidural? Did you find the catheter uncomfortable?

I've kind of come to terms with it and calmed down I think. I just like to know the details.

• Posted

I didn't have an epidural, it's done under general anaesthetic so as far as I'm aware you shouldn't need it unless they told you you do?

Also from what I can remember I didn't have a catheter and not something my doctor has mentioned this time around.

It's key hole surgery so you'll have very small scars that you won't even notice eventually and the recovery time is pretty quick, you should be fine after 1-2 weeks.

I'm the same I like to know everything, as it's happened so quickly this time, I dont even know what time I have to be at the hospital yet ??

• Posted

My cousin had a similar surgery with my doctor and he used epidural anesthesia for some reason. I know he'll tell me his plans when I get there. Of course my cousin didn't tell me about the epidural until after my last appointment so I didn't get to ask about it yet.

• Posted

Hi,

Please don't worry about the op itself.

I had an ovary plus tube plus cyst removed eleven weeks ago. I had a general anaesthetic as I was having vaginal surgery at the same time but would have chosen a general anyway.

If you prefer that, ask, they will usually go with what you want.

I had it laparoscopically removed, I am post menopause, and had a lot of scar tissue due to previous surgery.

It's nothing to be frightened of, three small cuts, which heal quickly.

A bit of tenderness, just don't do any lifting or anything strenuous for a while.

If you have completed your family, it won't be a bad thing to have the ovary removed, if not I'm sure the surgeon will try to save it.

As for a catheter, I don't know that you would need one.

• Posted

It's just hard to know what exactly you're walking into when every doctor's process is slightly different you know?

Anyway thanks to all of you I'm relatively relaxed today. I'm sure that I've worried enough before making this thread to take a break and relax lol.

Thanks so much you guys! I'll keep you all updated. They already called to tell me what time to be at the hospital so now I just wait.

• Posted

You'll be back home before you know. Best wishes, you will be fine X.

• Posted

I'm home everyone but I brought some pain back with me. I had some surgical complications. When I was about 13 a doctor suggested I might have endometriosis based on my pain complaints alone. It turns out I do have it. I had several cysts plus a lot of fibroids and what my doctor says was a huge endometrioma with a lot of scar tissue. I actually have a drain in my lower abdomen that I have to keep in for 5 days (ugh and ouch!) and because I also have fibroids on my bladder he wants to do another surgery in a month!

This sucks so bad. My pain is no more than a 5 though and I keep getting up and walking in little bits. I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out okay.

• Posted

Sorry you need more surgery but good your Dr. Is focusing on getting you back to normal. I assume he didn't remove any original parts and only the problem tissue. Sounds all good. He's focused on restoration vs. removal. Yay.

This is a short term set back for long term benefit. Glad to hear yourvpain is manageable. Keep moving and you will be surprised how quickly you will improve. I know the tubes suck but you can do this. Stay strong, accept help and rest when you can. Thank you for the update good to hear you are half way better. :-)

• Posted

In a months time you will have recovered from this surgery, and at least you have the benefit of the surgeon being able to have a good look round and see what needs doing, which he wouldn't normally know.

Onwards and upwards now, I hope you're not too daunted by it all.

I had loads of scar tissue incised when ovary and tube were removed, from my previous hysterectomy, the recovery wasn't too bad, and you should be a lot better and if you get to keep your ovaries, that's good. You're only young, though it probably doesn't fell that way, you'll bounce back.

Easy does it now for a few days, feet up.x.

• Posted

Today is as expected significantly more painful than yesterday. My pelvic area hurts really badly (maybe a 7) and that's where this horrible drain is.

Did any of you end up being sent home with a tube drain?

• Posted

Early days love, each day will feel a bit better.

Should imagine the drain area is painful,have had one in while in hospital but not at home.

I hope you manage to get some sleep.x.x.x.

• Posted

Glad you are home safe and sound. Rest up! Will the nurse visit you at home?
    • Posted

No nurse visit but my doctor called to check on me.

My navel feels rather strained when I get up or sit down and my pelvis hurts then too but other than that I'm feeling good today.

I only took the prescribed pain pills twice on the first day and then I switched to naproxen. I was trying to avoid the constipation but I still had to eat foods that I knew triggered my bowel movements and I drank Miralax but I am happy to announce in true TMI fashion that I used the bathroom a little while ago!

So far today has been good to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.