so my tsh came back a little wonky

Posted , 1 user is following.

Generally speaking I have been feeling like crud for a couple of years.  45 year old male with well controlled sleep apnea.  I have had most any test you can imagine with perect results....except one.  My TSH came back 0.424 ng/dl which is below the lower limit.  My freet4 is 1.21 ng/dl and t3 is 98 ng/dl.  Endo doc is doing cortisol bloodwork now.  What does a low tsh with normal t3/t4 mean?  I have fatigue and some anxiety seems to come with the fatigue.  I was having some nausea but the doc put me on PPI meds to help with that.  I have never had thyroid problems but the symptoms seem to fit.  Anyone have any ideas or experience?

thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Burner

Low TSH with normal freeT4 is called Sub Clinical Hyperthyroidism. Where tsh is suppressed but other factors within normal range. The medical profession recognises it but won't treat.

I came into that category in 1999. I was fatigued & all that! My GP referred me to Endocrinology. They found I had Pernicious Anaemia but didn't diagnose a thyroid condition! He said my TFT levels were now normal & didn't require action. As I sti had the fatigue he did the cortisol blood test on me also the test for Addisons Disease, which was negative. He then diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & discharged me back to the GP.

My GP thought that the anomalous test may be a precursor to thyroid disease & wanted regular TFTs. Unfortunately my GP left the practice & follow up bloods weren't done as standard. I found my hyper thyroid problem after finding a small lump in my neck. So it turned out I DID have Graves Disease with Multi Nodular Goitre & was diagnosed in 2011, after referral to Endocrinology AGAIN!

What I would suggest is that you have them keep an eye on your blood work & do follow up TFTs on an annual basis. If you're in the U.K. You may have to ask for the blood tests rather than leave it up to the docs! Knowing how cost conscious they are! Truthfully, caught & treated early is more cost effective than the head in the sand approach!!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

They did the cortisol test this morining.  They are going to do an ultrasound of my thyroid tomorrow...dr said it felt a little enlarged.  I look back at my bloodwork recent and a couple of years ago and my TSH was out of range low, T3 and T4 were normal but on the very low end of normal.  I hope they can find something, ready to feel right again.

thanks

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow, hope it all goes well. Of course you won't get any results tomorrow but most sonographers will give you a bit of a hint.

Of course if you are not in the U.K. You may get the results tomorrow.

All the best, let me know how it goes.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.