So needing to hear success stories please.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi to anyone who has had anterior, posterior, vaginal repair and hysterectomy......this might sound strange but I desperately need to hear success stories as lately on the forum I am reading about failed ops.     Don't get me wrong, I feel really upset for those poor ladies.

However, I am truly worried and getting stressed out for concerns of a re-prolapse...and in fact am almost expecting it after reading about these ladies.   PLEASE has anyone had total success with just one op? 

I am just over 10 weeks and now feel fantastic down below, and the BMs are better than ever in many years ....going easily and soft with no struggle anymore.   I was assured that I had really good stitches inside and that nothing will fall out!

Post op pain has now all gone and I feel good except this expectation of failure.     

I would love love to hear good reports.....and how I wish Matron was back on the forum as she was so brilliant at assuring us all.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 4 mos post op now, and feel fabulous one surgery, I'm so glad I found this site after surgery. And thank God Matron was still here.yes the key is have to really take it easy.take it slow listen to ur body. glad I are well, good luck sweetie!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Dianelou.  What kind of prolapse was yours?  Mine is bladder but the gynaecologist here in Spain advised against an operation as she said it would prolapse again in 2-3 years time. Tricia 
  • Posted

Thankyou to everyone!        I have taken things very easy (even resting after a shower when I don't really feel the need to) thanks to the forum members and friends who have told me over and over again 'take it easy and even when you feel good.....still don't do a lot....just rest up'.       My husband does most of the lifting as well.

The BMs I believe are very important too....take the stool softeners as and when you feel the need.   Even when you feel the urge to go and you instinctively know it's not going to happen nicely, then don't try and don't even think of straining!    Rather be a little uncomfortable for a short while and drink plenty of water etc and just wait until the BM 'slips out' nicely.  I still resort to Laxido some days.        

My follow up is on 7th December when I shall be 3 months post op.   So pleased it wasn't 6 weeks (ouch!).     

It would be lovely to hear more positive stories but as you say......those ladies have no need to resort to the forum because they are all doing well.

My cousin is around 18 years since her anterior/posterior/hysterectomy and still fine....another cousin 4 years with same op and sister in law 10 years hysterectomy and bladder......so success stories are out there.

Matron.....it would be wonderful to have you back.....you have no idea how much we all valued your input....we'd love to hear some more success stories of encouragement.   Pretty please......💕

• Posted

Carol,

Your cousins and sister in law have all done really well, they must have got the recovery time right and have managed to protect their repairs.

How have they managed to last 18/20 years, whatever they have done or avoided must have contributed to the length of time these repairs had lasted !

Their advice will be invaluable. In would be wonderful if they could come on the forum and tell of their experiences.

Take care x

Phyl

• Posted

Hi Carole.  I agree with Phyl - would love to hear about long recovery times. Also from Matron - I have never heard of her... Glad you are doing well and resting.
  • Posted

I dont have a good story sorry, but it has to work for some, you are one it worked for  so forget the negative and enjoy you life 
  • Posted

Hi there.....the family members aren't into much computer work or forums unfortunately.   The one who had her posterior and anterior (hysterectomy one year prior to this) many years ago, did have to do a lot of work in the home very early after her op and told me she was hanging out washing just two weeks after her op, despite being told not to stretch up!  She was fine though thankfully.  She had no young children but as the family were all out of the home working etc she was left to do cooking washing etc.   I believe she did rest up when she could.

i do wonder whether those who take HRT or use estrogen profit from stronger tissue 'down there'?   2 of the family members were on HRT at the time of their ops.  Another one had a bladder repair at only 33 with hysterectomy and was on HRT since menopause (she's now 73) but never had re-prolapse.   The cousin who is now 4 years post op has never taken hormone products but does Pilates and practices pelvic floor exercises the whole time (sitting, standing etc etc).    When I go for my post op follow up on 7th December I am going to ask my surgeon if by using estrogen cream, this would strengthen tissue etc.   in the meantime I do pelvic floor exercises throughout the day and when I walk....squeezing like it was normal.   I also follow the BM sitting position on the loo and only wait til it is ready to 'slip out' without any straining LOL.        We can only do our best.  

• Posted

Hi Carole,

You could be right about the HRT; I'm sure it does help thicken the tissues for those of us whose tissues are thinning.

My father in laws wife is a retired district nurse and haa had problems with a bladder prolapse.

To this day she still uses a jug to fill the kettle and uses a tilting swing to fill mugs. She does all the cooking, but husband lifts heavy pots and dishes. She says she never over fills laundry basket, and her daughter help with heavier spring cleaning. Her main way of keeping fit is swimming and short walks.

You are right about BMs; so important to avoid straining. It can be so difficult getting a balance their between 'too solid and too soft'. I found it not too bad on lactulose, but trial and error with diet after I weaned of lactulose.

Physiotherapist dose encourage doing pelvic floor exercises throughout the day including when standing. I never found them easy to do while standing, not sure why!

I have three regulations slots throughout the day where I do about 15 of each - fast and longer hold, but also do more throughout the day between doing things an whenever I remember. I also squeeze and pull up before attempting anything a little heavier that I'm not sure about weight wise but avoid anything too heavy.

Unfortunately, I have had problems with possibly not relaxing the muscles properly when at work (of just over doing the exersises), and then have been quite sore and unable to do them properly for day or two. Muscles must go into spasm.

Anyway usually sorts itself.

Good to hear of other experiences,

Take care,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Hi ladies, I can relate to all of the above. I do the pelvic floor as often as possible and when I remember as well as every time I lift ( which I now know to avoid!!)Having ducked out of my TVT op, I embarked on a regime and the muscles do rebel if we over-it. It's like turning up the Kiegel ( I have an Elise) as you think you can't feel enough and doing it every night as well as everything. I have had to take a few days off to let the area relax and calm down!! I was warned to go at it gently but over did it as I was enthusiastic. The other great thing is the Hyperpressives technique. More effective then the usual pelvic floor and developed by a Physio from Brussels. There is also an article I have just seen saying women in thier twenties who do high impact three times a week for a year can achieve the pelvic floor of a woman  who has given birth!! So we must educate our daughters too!! The marvellous thing is that we are all talking and sharing. So much healing is going to come from the information we can share!! Xx 

• Posted

Well done kitty. I was talking to a physio who is specifically trained in urogynaecology and works in that department. She said research has shown that many of the women referred haven't been doing the exercises correctly and therefore it's been a waste of time. She's encouraging the urogynaecologists in our Health Trust to refer ladies as soon as possible to her and her colleagues. I know there are lots of videos out there but it's no substitute to actually getting expert advice. I know Stephanie on this forum is the expert. 

• Posted

Hi Matron, I wanted to be referred to a physio just to make sure about the pelvic floor and posture but my GP simply told me to squeeze.   How can I go about making an appointment to see a physio in this regard? 

Many thanks.  

• Posted

You are so right kitty, about educating our daughters.

My eldest daughter is 35 years old just had three little boys ( now 4, 3 and 2 years old), she works long 12 hour shifts on her feet and does not always get her days off, ( her husband takes care of the boys).

She works in a coffee shop as supporting manager and often clearing tables, no room for trolleys so carrying heavy trays; I have warned her about keeping up with pelvic floor exercises and not giving herself time to recuperate between babies especially when in a heavy job.

Anyway you know what young people are like, don't want to know or hear about 'gross stuff' as they call it. I think that new mum's should be shown some of those 'gross' video's of prolapse repairs when telling them to do their pelvic floor exercises, 😅 that would definitely make my daughter sit up and take it all serious.

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Hi carole. Typical GP!! If you are still under the care of your consultant he/she would refer you. If not all I could advise is see a different GP or go back to the original one and insist. If a patient requests a referral for something like physio they are supposed to make that referral because NHS guidelines (for GP's) does state that they cannot refuse a reasonable request for other services. Hope that helps x

• Posted

Thankyou Matron.....yes this helped.       I have just phoned my consultant's office and left a message.     Alternatively, I shall phone my GP's office and request an appointment with a physio.     

Thnkyou.

• Posted

Hi, I had this op nearly 8 weeks ago. I saw my surgeon exactly 6 weeks post op.

All she said was that I was healing nicely and that the prolapse looked okay.

I would like to know how you can tell whether it's failed or not. I had no

problems to begin with. I had a spinal block with very little sedation.

I was conscious throughout. Catheter removed the next day, and came off painkillers afree 3 days

because I had no pain. Everything was brilliant for about 3 weeks, then problems began.Bowel infection causing diarrhoea for 2 weeks

b4 my gp gave me anti biotics. Then black urine. Which was pretty scarey.

Now waiting for ct scan of pelvic floor region and kidneys. I'm sure this is a separate issue,. But i dont know how you can tell if it's failed.

One piece of advice. Do your exercises religiously and hope for the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.