So now awaiting a CT scan

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok story so far Hysterectomy in 2012 left ovaries. About 9 months later started having pains in tummy like period pains went to see a gp said it was prob adhesions. no more advice given. Left it for a while hoping it would go away get better. No got worse settled into right lower tummy with stabbing shooting pains into my groin and leg feeling unwell etc so back to see a gp in oct/nov 2014 he said he could feel what he susspected was an ovarian cyst. Had a CA125 which was ok sent for an ultrasound scan which i was told was normal but could not see my right ovary then saw a gynea dr just before xmas she said i was constipated ~(i wasnt lol ) So gave up a suffered till march still in pain sometimes not so bad other times real bad. Back to gp and she sent me for a pelvic xray asdue to my age (53) she recons itt could be my hip bones  Xray back all good bood test for everything all clear. So back to drs. end of April He had another poke around my tummy which was real sore. decided that maybe a needed a colonoscopy and refered me to the surgeon Saw him last week and he felt my tummy and says that he can feel a significant lump on my right side and want me to have a ct scan.. Could this still be an ovarian cyst or smething else any ideas please/  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathy, I have an ovarian cyst and have had similar symptoms. However, if you need a colonoscopy, that indicates that they think you have a problem with your bowels.  I had a US scan and they could not see my right ovary, because of gas in my bowel.   Have since been prescribed Mebeverine tablets, for IBS.  my abdominal pain has eased considerably since taking these.  Ovarian cysts can mimic IBS symptoms, so it could be your ovaries or your bowels, so hopefully the colonoscopy should rule this out.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Consultant has decided on a CT scan and not a colonoscopy. So now it all rests on what they see on that. 
  • Posted

I had a c.t scan which showed ovarian cyst.  Two weeks previous I had a us scan and a transvaginal scan, and they were clear.  I was quite surprised that the us scan did not show the cyst.  Do you have a date for the  CT scan?  I think they are more accurate than the US scans, so hopefully everything should be so sorted for you when you've had that.  Don't just put up with the pain though, insist they get to the bottom of things for you.

• Posted

No not a date yet was a week tomorrow when i saw the tummy consultant not sure how long i will have to wait cry not long i hope really fed up and need to know what is going on inside me lol

• Posted

I had to wait two to three weeks for my scans - I've had seven different ones this year, so if after another week, you have not heard anything, I would give consultants secretary a call. 

• Posted

I am sorry to sound naive; but if you have had a hysterectomy and therefore, by definition sterile; why did they not take out the ovaries as well?    If it was a question that you may want children (albeit by proxy as you have no Uterous), then with modern techonolgy you may be able to receive artificial insemination with a surrogate mother.

Have you stopped menstruating altogether? 

Have you actually passed through menopause without realising?

These things do happen, and the fact that you have had a hysterectomy effectively makes the ovaries redundant; the gynaecologists should perhaps advised you about the implications of all the reproductive organs being removed, including the ovaries sinces they have nothing to pass in to the womb as it has been removed.  Effectively, you have been sterilised. A hyserectomy is very invasive surgery.

Why leave the ovaries and the would be connections to the Uterous in place, having with removed the  Uterus?

For you to go through another invasive surgical procedure is a major  risk if it is in the vacinity of the original scar tissue.

You are clearly in pain, you need to get this dealt with immediately: if in doubt, write to the Registrar of the Hospital you attend and ask for a second opinion and also copy in to your MP or MInister for Health at Westminster.

It sounds to me that you are being "fobbed off". As for the Bowel element, apart from the muscular element in ejecting faeces as well as the force required to push the baby through the vagina and birth canal, I do not see what relevance this has to the cysts, particular the fact that the Uterus has been removed.

I don't understand how IBS (if that is the case) comes in to the equation. I think that you need to escalate this further.

my thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Hi i had a vaginal hysterectomy therefore less invasive and no external scaring for fibrods. They left my ovarias so i ould not be forced into the menopause it would occur natrually, Yes bleeding stopped no i was 50 so wanting more kids was not even asked i have done my bit with 4 lol, 

I agree that my appointment with the gynea before xmas i was being somewhat fobbed off she was doing an internal and hurting me so much i nearly jumped of the table, Then told me i was constipated and to take senacot, I was not happy with that treatment, My husband is now saying that if after the ct something shows up that should have been picked up on at previous appointments then we will be writing to someone, I do feel i was fobbed off then, Also with a gp (not my own as he was unavailable) /When she sent me fora pelvic xray due to my age thinking it was my hips, 

I dont think it is ibs the pain is like a stabbing stitch like pain goes into my right groin and down my leg at times, Into my back, 

As far as i am aware my bowels are fine but i am more aware of if i dont go when i go etc, 

Hopefully i will be seen soon. 

• Posted

Hiya, I saw my consultant for the second time last week and after having a cyst confirmed by ultrasound and an internal examination I have been sent for a ct scan. I got my letter today 8 days after my appointment and I'm now booked in tomorrow. Not sure if this time scale is the same in all areas / hospitals though.

Andrea

• Posted

I had hysterectomy 20 years ago - and my ovaries were left, as you say to prevent early menopause.  This is standard procedure where possible.  I am now 50, and as far as I know have not gone through the menopause yet.  I have however developed an ovarian cyst.  These cysts can cause abdominal swelling and IBS symptoms.  My cyst is being monitored with  regular US scans, to check if it is growing.  I have been prescribed Mebeverine for bloating symptoms, and they have helped the pain I was getting, in stomach, back and legs.  I am very grateful that my ovaries were left, irrespective of fertility issues.  To have had menopause twenty years ago, for me would have been far worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.