So scared!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I want to say thank you for this post! I have searched many forums which most are dated over 5 years ago. I am 58 years old, had a crash course in menopause, RLS prior to Tramadol and feel like I am losing my marbles (whats left of them). I started taking 50mg 4 years ago for sciatica, told the Dr. that it was causing me severe stomach pains to which he repied...take it with food. Hmmm, ok..a year later I had an EGD done and lo and behold, I have 3 ulcers. This Dr. says its directly related to the Tramadol usage. I tell my GP and he says no way..then I tell him I want to get off of them, he replies...your on such a low dose just stop taking them. Ok...WOW I thought menopause was a kick, this about made me feel like I was dying!!Now some of youmay laugh, only 50 mg a day? What do you have to worry about...but trust me, havng never taken any other drugs before for pain..its exactly what all of you have described! I am very familair with naturopathic/homeopathinc therapies and I have tried them all to no avail. I was even tempted on trying my hubby's Neurotin! My memory is a joke (I am a nurse and cannot afford that), my RLS is out of control, my appetite is nil and my stomach pain is horrendous, not to mention the bathroom changes or mood swings. I am scared..I want off this nasty, horrible, very addicting drug!!! And lastly...I am alone in this. My hubby continues to take it 2 or 3 times a day plus his Neurotin and its not touching his pain, he has had multiple mini seizures but refuses to quit.....dear Lord give me the strength!! 

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had physiotherapy for my sciatica which helped a huge amount, following that up with regular light exercising seems to be keeping it at bay. 
  • Posted

As a fellow nurse, taking anything that could potentially injure myself or others was not a risk I was willing to take. After a work injury I was put on 1200mg Neurontin & 50mg Tramadol BID. Wow! When I chose to titrate off these medications little did I realize what a price I would pay. Your brain says No! I need this stuff, my body says No! I need this and my common sense nurse side says no you don't. I guess this is what a drug addict feels like. It took several months to get off these meds. I was on them for 1 months & my doctor didn't want me to stop taking them.
  • Posted

Please don't try neurotin it was the worst nightmare for me that drug stops the brain from working properly. I have tried to quit but every possible moment of joy has been taken from me .My nausea is unbearable, My mental state hopeless. I am happy I have cancer because i cant get free from my abusive relationship between my mom. The side effect from neurotin feels like it stole any hope for my life from me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.