So scared and exhausted, need some help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my name is Holly and I am 20 years old. Up until about a year ago everything was fine and I rarely worried about anything at all. But after some stressful and highly upsetting events i've become a nervous wreck. I jump at anything, feel constantly tense and most of all am convinced that I am going to die soon. Any ache, pain or bump is now immediately cancer, aneurism, heart disease, blood clots or some life threatening illness. Ive been to the GP countless times recently and even went to AnE today thinking I was having a heart attack to be told that there is nothing wrong with me. Blood tests have repeatedly come back ok apart from "inflammation". I worry constantly every day about my health and feel like im on another planet and completely zone out when watching telly or talking to someone because Im too busy worrying about my health.

Symptoms I have had: Headaches, twitching, muscle pain, ibs, acne, light headedness, chest pain, raised heart beat, hearing my heart rate alot, extreme tiredness, irrational thoughts, panick when falling asleep, neck and back pain and tender muscles.

I havent been diagnosed with anxietybut if one of you could give me an opinion as to whether you think this is whats wrong with me then that would be great . Also what can I do to stop worrying and relax a little ?

Thankyou,

Holly

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey holly hope your ok x

Yes it sounds like you have health anxiety, I have a minor case but isn't very serious, if I find anything wrong with myself I spend days googling symptoms and just feel horrible and my mind is overwhelmed with thoughts.

I wish I could give advice but when I get like that there's no convincing me otherwise, I think accepting you have health anxiety is reassuring and knowing that it's more than likely in your head. Doesn't make it feel any less real though.

Stay strong and there's always someone here that's going through the same and it does help knowing your not alone in how you feel x

Stay strong. X

• Posted

Hi holly. My name is Jalynn and I'm also 20. I've had genaral anxiety disorder and intrusive OCD since my early teens but only the last few months has it been all day everyday with constant panick. Everyday I convince myself I'm mentally ill and it's awful. I would say that you clearly have an anxiety disorder. I don't have the racing heart and stuff but I know plenty if people who do. I have experienced the headaches and light headedness and stuff. Sometimes it's like I'm not even sure I'm in my body or if my life is real. Like I'm watching it from the outside. So you definitely are not alone. I would strongly suggest not looking up every symptom you have. That has driven me crazy cuz something pops up and I freak myself out. I don't want to go the prescription route so I am trying alternate things. I would suggest going to a therapist. It's gonna be a long road but I'm telling you that there is hope. Even when it doesn't seem like there is a light at the end of te tunnel, there is. Your racing heart an going to the hospital thinking you're having a heart attack is not out of the ordinary for people with anxiety. I will be praying for you. There is hope and it's important to know that you're not alone. I always think I'm dying or I'm mentally ill. I just try to tell mysel that it's just my anxiety and it's not reality. But I know it's a lot easier said than done. 

Good luck!!! 

• Posted

It sounds like general health anxiety where you link all things health to your situation.

To relax try breathing exercises.  Slow inward breath hold then exhale.  This should help.   Also do relaxation by clenching and relaxing your muscles one by one.  This releases tension.

Richard

• Posted

Thankyou for replying, I just feel scared that my life has changed forever and I will never be the same outgoing person I used to be.  I will try the relaxing exercises. I'm finding it very difficult to stop googling symptoms though and watching the news or reading a paper is a struggle because of all the scary stories of people dying young and terminal cancers or hospitals missing things in people. This is especially hard because I like to keep up with current affairs. I do feel more positive reading your responses though smile
  • Posted

Ok, obviously you are suffering from health anxiety. To try and get some control over this can you try and post pone your worry? So if you get an ache, pain, bump can you tell yourself that you are going to think about this at a specific worry time eg 4pm? At 4pm have a worry about it for 10 minutes only. his will show you that worrying about your health is controllable and tasks such as watching tv and speaking to people will become easier as you are not pre-occupied. 

The second thing would be to recognise that after having numerous tests, you have health anxiety and that is it. If medical professionls are testing and giving their opinion Id say go with it. Understand that when you worry, the oly thing you have is health anxiety and not an actual physical health problem.

All the symtoms you are feeling are due to anxiety.

I hope this helps xx

• Posted

Occupying certain times to worry Is a good idea and I might start writing my worries down. 

Thank you for all your help 

• Posted

That would be good but don't analyse them, other than disregarding them they shouldnt be engaged with because that gives them importance, makes them real ect xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.