So scared of my codeine addiction

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 34 year old mother of 4. I have been addicted to codeine for about 5 years, gradually taking more and more over the years.

I was first prescribed it for backache.

My addiction has got totally out of hand. I manage to get 200 30mg codeine phosphate tablets every 4 weeks off my GP. I also get other people to get me them too. I buy them off the Internet and I buy codeine linctus syrup off the internet too.

I currently take 4 tablets (120mg) every 3 hours throughout the day. I am usually asleep by 11pm and il wake at about 7am and have my first dose of the day.

After lots of research, I can't find anyone who takes as much as I do which is terrifying. I need to stop this. I know I need to speak to my GP but I am absolutely terrified that social services will become involved as I am a parent, even though there is absolutely no cause for concern regarding my children.

Please, can anyone give me any advice.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dash,

Well done for stopping, be proud of yourself.

I can't imagine (yet) how you're feeling right now, but I've had a taster in the past when I've ran out of tablets or medicine. And good for you for telling the doc and everywhere online to stop your supply.

In your post you say that it's all you think about. I'm the same. Counting down the minutes til 3 hours was up so I could take 4 more pills. Do you know what? They don't even give me any kind of feeling anymore either. They don't take away any pain I have and they certainly don't give me the 'high' feeling anymore.

I'm scared I won't be able to ever stop. I know I have no willpower at all, I mean, I've tried quitting smoking loads of times and failed miserably.

I've read a few posts on here where people have suggested taking Benadryl for like, the stress of it all (don't quote me on that though!)

I'm still taking my 3 (90mg) every 4 hours and my stomach is kind of bad too. I have terrible restless legs aswell, and I know what you mean about the cold sweats because I'm also getting them, mildly.

Don't give up. You're doing so well. And from the posts I've read, people have said that the worst of it will be over after several days. The first 3 days are meant to be the worst, so you only have one more bad day and then it'll all be uphill from there. It'll get better and easier.

I swear to god I wish I'd never started taking these pills though and I seriously feel that they shouldn't be prescribed or sold OTC. They should just be available in hospital, under supervision!

Keep us updated with your progress. Good Luck x x x

• Posted

HI SARA. My last lengthy post was deleted for using a well known brand. I have sent you a private message of the original. Short version.. tip for sleeping... I used a soluble vitamins c fizzy tablet in the afternoon,drank orange juice and finally another soluble vitamins c at night. Slept from 10pm till 9am woke twice... turned over and went back. The fizz tablets we're 1000 mg a lot of vitc I know. Can cause diarrhea.. got that already anyway from a week of no codiene.

• Posted

Hi all. Just thought i would post my update. I stopped taking n+ on the 16th August. Today is 7th Sept. Not touched any since then after cold Turkey. Can honestly say today is the first day without any kind of discomfort at all. Yes I have been well enough to function after the first week but with aches and pains!! And the anxiety. Today I feel like I have finally come through and beat it. Sleeping is all but back to normal. 12 hr work shifts for the next 9 day's. And I feel like I am me again. It was all worth it!! And no i dont ever want to go back to that... right where to go next we're they don't know me.

• Posted

Congratulations. That's fantastic. You are an inspiration. I have tried cutting down but it never works and I want to go cold turkey. Did the worst of the effects go in a week? How long were you taking the drug? Love Drew x

• Posted

Hey Drew... Yes the worst days were 3 to 5. 3 being the God this is a struggle and you need to be at your will power strongest.. The thought that got me over that was I have come this far now. And I told my son and didn't want to let him down either. Best thing i did was to let him know! Gives you a kick up the backside. And drives you to go through it rather than tell nobody and think this is hard and give in. Let someone know!!

Prescribed by doc for blood pressure headaches originally. Coco. Asked him to take me off repeat because i was using too many a week. Then split with my gfriend. Needed that comfort and calm feeling to get me through that. 3 years later here I am just getting off them. They held me back from life. Didn't go on holidays with friends in case I couldn't get hold of any... buying in bulk to take wasn't an option!!! Can you imagine going through the airport scanner checks and then finding 14 packs of n+ bye bye job and hello Mr police man. It had to be quit now. My low point came when I asked my son to go to town and buy them for me. Has all the chemists knew my face. 32 a day wow. 1 week of a struggle and 2 of discomfort and lack of proper sleep. All worth it to go and do whatever I like knowing I don't have to constantly check if I have enough with me. £50 a week saving too. Do it Drew..... I now feel great!

• Posted

Thank you so much. This is really helpful. I tried before and quit on day 3 because I couldn't even pick up the phone or function. I couldn't sleep either. I had to work etc. so I started again on Day 4. I was gutted but unless people leave me alone, I can't do it because of other demands on me. From what you say, after a week it will be better. Like you, I spend a fortune and lie to different chemists... often travelling miles for different ones. I went abroad last year and was in a terrible state because I could buy any and I didn't want to take too many through customs. I can't eat properly. My stomach is always in pain. Life is just hell on this journey. Thanks again for your message x D

• Posted

Hey Drew. Anytime.. I have lived through the first week of that and now feel better than I did before. It was all just a false feeling of comfort that does not last long. And your on to the next plan of where to go? everyday was the same. Free from that now. I can give you my email if you wish. Do a daily diary of how your doing and can be there to relate and understand every day of it. And you have told somebody now. Thats another insentive for you. If you can...try and book a week or two off work. X Mark
    • Posted

Thanks Mark. I am so pleased for you. Well done. Did the withdrawals  (aching legs, sleeplessness, anxiety) go away after a week? Day 3 was terrible for me. It sounds like if I had've hung on, I could have got through it. Would be happy to email. I can't remember how it's done because I don't think email addresses are allowed here. I will let you know when I'm on day one again. I need to make sure I don't have to do anything for that week. Thanks again. Take care. Drew x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.