So sensitive to SSRIs how long should I wait?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been battling severe anxiety and PTSD for the past three years after a traumatic experience at work. I'm a high functioning professional and have worked in social work for the past 20 years. After a series of stressors and the creeping anniversary of the event, my anxiety got severe enough my psych thought it was time to start meds. However, I am ultra sensitive to SSRIs... We chose celexa because it had worked for me about 10 years ago during a stessful time in my masters program. She is a phenomenal Dr. and developed a plan for me to start on liquid celexa at 2mg.

On 3/4 I started the 2mg, 3/11 went to 4mg, 3/26 8 mg, 4/2 10mg (switched from liquid to tablets). I have had every side effect listed; jitters, high anxiety, insomnia, intrusive thoughts- you name it.

Currently at day 12 of 10mg and my anxiety is still SKY HIGH, I even had some depersonalization yesterday. I'm trying to remain positive and optimistic but this transition has been so hard on my body. I do have Ativan but try to reserve it for times when I feel I can no longer cope. I'm doing everything I can think of to power though, I work out, stay busy, still go to work, meditate, focus on gratitude (all of it) but I'm getting increasingly scared I'm on the wrong path and this might not resolve. I know I've only been on 10mg for less than two weeks but I was hoping for better results with the slow titration. I need some serious reassurance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi, im currently in the beginning stages of taking citalopram, and also experiencing the increased anxiety.

one thing which i try to keep in mind, is that it's very very common that we will feel worse before feeling better, as we go through the adjustment process of our bodies getting used to the medicine. it even clearly states this in the leaflet included with my tablets here (and says to please not stop taking your tablets if they make you feel worse in the beginning, without speaking to your doctor), and when googling around about this subject in the past, i noticed that on the plus side, apparently if you feel worse when first taking medication like this, it's often a very good sign the medication is actually going to work for you. and i imagine like me, this is something you really want to hear.

i have been on and off antidepressants many times over the past 15 years, and the only time i had increased anxiety which did not ease down over time, even after about 6 weeks, was when, several years ago i made the mistake of taking escitalopram 20mg daily. what i didnt realise was, the escitalopram dose is not equivalent to citalopram, so in fact 20mg of escitalopram is equivalent to 40mg of citalopram. this was way too much for my body so it just gave me anxiety along with a constant upset stomach.

i do have increased anxiety currently taking 20mg of citalopram, but i am going to keep going and hope for the best that it eases off over the coming days, or weeks.

regarding your situation, it certainly seems like you are doing things slowly and carefully, and i dont think anyone can say 10mg of citalopram is an excessive dose, particularly for an adult. it's great that you are keeping busy also. hopefully you dont have to wait too long now to feel some relief, keep us posted please if possible and sending best wishes from me

• Posted

Thank you for the kind and wise words. I know I'm super sensitive and these things take time, its just so frustrating to feel so bad and then things have to get worse before they get better! I hope one day there will be better treatments!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.