So sick of feeling sick!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have always had digestive issues - years of GERD, for which I'm on daily esomeprazole, plus constipation (partly caused by antidepressant medication), and other issues. But for the past few months I have felt at the end of my tether. Started with nausea, stomach pains and yellow diarrhea, plus low-grade fever at the end of August. The GP ran blood tests, which showed infection and inflammation, but did not give me anything to deal with the infection. It settled down somewhat, but then the pain came back - not as bad, but noticeable. I went back to the GP, who ran some more blood tests (mostly OK, white count slightly raised, though much lower than it had been, one of my liver enzymes slightly raised) and had me do a stool test. This showed high levels of blood, so I was sent for a colonoscopy. This showed three large diverticula, which were the cause of the bleeding, but nothing else apart from two tiny polyps, which were removed. The GP now thinks that the infection I had in August was actually a diverticulitis flare. In all this time, I have never stopped feeling mildly queasy almost every day (sometimes more than mildly), my appetite has decreased, and my bowels are all over the place - diarrhea one day, constipation the next, stools ranging from yellow to very dark. I am so sick of feeling sick and dragged out, and don't know what to do anymore. I'm still waiting for an abdominal ultrasound in 3 weeks, which may show something else, but until then I don't know how to get my life back, as I feel too miserable to do anything most days. I have always struggled with anxiety and depression, and the recent state of my guts has not helped. Would be so grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

its very difficult...i am just surprised that your go didnt send you for ultrasound before.... that will be basic scan to see...

for now hang on there....you are not alone...i am 2 years battling with flare ups and as well mental health is suffering....

keep your head up....you aint alone...meanwhile try stay positive and eat bland foods...

• Posted

Thanks. The GP referred me for the ultrasound at the same time as the colonoscopy - there's just a much longer waiting list for ultrasound. Thanks for your support.

• Posted

There is little you can do but wait for your ultrasound which may give you answers. Until that happens, there is no point in speculating on the unknown because it will lead to more anxiety and depression. Try relaxation therapy and distraction techniques such as a hobby.

• Posted

Thanks, Pippa. I just want to feel better - I'm not speculating. I do have health anxiety, but it's not what's driving me mad at the moment. It's the nausea and unpredictable state of my digestive system, which is making it hard to do anything because I feel so crummy all the time. It's been going on for a couple of months now, and I feel so dragged down by feeling unwell all the time.

• Posted

Have you asked your doctor for anti nausea medication while you wait for your ultrasound?

• Posted

hi

Having almost the same problem. Now being referred to pyschiatrist. Done scopes 5 times. Taken all type of medication allopathy, ayurvedic, homeopathy, pranic healing etc but only little improvement. Been suffering for many years now. Really do understand what you are going through. Keep praying.. Hope you will get better.

• Posted

So sorry about what you're going through, Prakash. Hope we both find a way through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.